Noob auto question

DoBro Jesus

So I know absolute fuck all when it comes to auto trans and my safari is the first auto I've ever owned, anyway, it drives sweet and everything but when I put my foot down to change gear on the motorway either 2 things happen,

1. It does nothing and just slugs along in the lowest gear.

2. It shifts into a really high gear and just slips like crazy.

I checked the ATF and its literally 4 times higher than the mark on the dipstick, I'm just guessing that this is the problem and that its terribly overfilled with ATF and its just foaming causing it to be a cunt? Or could there be another problem I'm missing here? I'll drain it out when I'm back home but I'm in Tauranga at the moment with no tools on me.

Chur boes.

yeah definitely check the level with engine running. If you drain it to the max mark with it not running it'll kick itself out of gear coz not enough fluid when you're coasting. 

it prolly doesn't kick down coz the kickdown system isn't working properly. 

have you tried flicking it down a gear/out of overdrive manually when it starts lugging? 

when it's 'slipping' are you sure it's not just high revs where the engine isn't makingit's best power making it seem like it's not getting anywhere? 

has it got a 'power, eco, hold' switch?

Yeah when I flick overdrive off it just kicks it into that high gear and its definitely slipping as it revs like its in neutral or with a severe slipping clutch in a manual, I'm just going by what I've read on the net, just seems like there's wayyyyy to much ATF even with it not running.

If the engine is not running the fluid WILL drain back to the pan from the torque converter and show up as high on the dipstick

Auto's should all be checked with the engine running in Park or Neutral, take it for a small run first to ensure everything is fill that needs to be.

To me it sounds like you've had a clutch pack failure, when the clutch linings fail completely they block all the hydraulic ports and oil pan pick up and can cause weird problems in the other gears / circuits that haven't failed.

This is usually why you get a complete no drive condition on an Auto when it's poked, it;s usually just blocked the pick up screen to the pump.

But if it's just slipping in a higher gear, you need to take it to an expert, i'd say it needs a major repair.

Go ask at off road express about running it as a manually shifted trans.

It would be worth clipping the 5v feed to the line pressure bleed solenoid to see if that's the culprit (a bad tps will cause it to bleed too much line pressure for the tq as you give more throttle )

Personally.. I'd follow directions on ore to remove trans computer and manually shifted it with 3 relays.. I did this on mine and it made it drive 10x better

If it has to be rebuilt- do it yourself as it's dead easy to change bands and clutch packs. I put clutch bowl and packs into mine out of the auto trans from a vh45 powered sedan as they have one extra set of plates.