Crappy newschool Primera problems

feathersword

As per titles, friend of mine having issues with his 93 auto Primera and trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Haven't been to look yet, but problems starting - so I'm thinking either battery is poked (or alternator meaning battery not charging), or starter motor - as first things to try and check.

Plan is to take my car and try and jump it, if we are successful in doing that, that will likely mean starter motor is fine right?

Thanking you in advance you fountain of knowledge!

If you jump it and it starts fine, then yes the starter motor is okay. If you jump it and it just clicks, or wont crank over at all, or cranks over very very slowly then I'd be looking at the starter motor.

That's what I thought, cheers for confirming :)

Before replacing starter (if that's the problem) check all wires going to it first. I had an annoying problem when my little solenoid wire was loose.

Will keep that in mind :)

My brother's primera had the starter motor shit out.

It's up under the manifold out of sight too. With the throttle wide open, I was able to get a long 1/2 inch extension down to the bump on the bellhousing when the starter motor sits. Giving it a good smack with a hammer would allow it to start. For a while, until the starter absolutely had to be replaced.