My fellow MS users- Help!!!

yoeddynz

Went to start the Viva this morning and thought Id check the warmup enrichment settings as it warms up. Something has gone wrong and I'm not sure what it is. It is most likely very simple and computer related but I am getting flustered and want to throw my toys from the cot!

I'll tell you what has happened.

A few weeks ago I upgraded my tunerstudio to the latest version but have not connected the laptop to the ecu since the upgrade.

Without the laptop connected the new 2.5 engine started last night straight away - this is still on the tune for the 2.0 KF.  I plugged the laptop in and it wouldn't connect up. I realised that I had to start a new project, named it Viva 2.5, TS (tunerstudio)  searched and detected the ecu and connected.  We went for a drive and all was well. I did some VE analyse live tuning as the table was lean all over for the new bigger capacity engine as expected but otherwise it ran fine. Took car home and parked up happy.

This morning I went to start car. I plugged the laptop in, opened TS, turned the key on and the ecu was detected all as usual. All the gauges did their things.  I wanted to check the warm up idle pwm settings so clicked on startup/idle but the box did not have have the pwm table etc highlighted. I clicked on the 'idle control' and that was set to none. As I had not changed anything I just left that as is and pondered. I turned key off. Then pulled out the cable and turned key back on thinking I'll just start the car anyway.  But when I turned it on the only one led on the ms2 lit- the left one and the pump ran continuously. The car would not start. So I plugged in the laptop and now I cant find the ecu!

Something came up in a window with 'changes require a powercycle' but i cant remember if this happened before I disconnected the laptop or after. It all happened so quick and I was starting to get flustered.

The laptop normally finds the ecu fine. I am wondering if there is a fault with the new TS?  As I said before I have not looked through the new version but noticed the new page when opening it.

When I started a new project last night and it detected the ecu would it not have just loaded all the data across? Why was the startup/warmup box not showing my usual settings which are pwm based idle control?

What should I do? I have popped the top off the ecu and no signs of smoke but i am not expecting to have blown anything. I did everything I usually do and normally its fine.

What next?

please help before I lose all my hair.

Alex

So much info out there and its hard to put in the right discription to filter through. Not really sure what the problem is. I have put the same question as above up on the MSextra forum so hopefully will get some help there.  Fuck it fucking annoying.

Seriously could put my fist through the laptop right now...but that wont help.

so annoyed- was working great last night. 

I have just plugged the ecu into laptop and checked the usb ports on the laptop- it says they are working perfectly. I have the most recommended usb-serial cable with the better chipset but anyway- its always been fine.

At very least the ms2 should just start the car without anything attached but now its only showing one led. I dont know if there is anyway I can reboot it. I have disconnected the power, pulled the fuse etc but still the same. 

How would I word this problem for a search? Putting in things like ms2 wont start just gets me a million newbies attemping their first start etc and more related to just general tuning.

uh somethimes when i newer version of tuner studio is released it will not support older firmware. this can cause conflicts etc. this sounds like what has happened. best answer will be be revert back to the version you were using and hopefully you have the msq file saved somewhere that it was running on fine. then reload that file and you should be off. failing that you will need to upgrade firmware to the latest ms2 stable release and re configure it. you should be able to save your tables from the old file and re load them. so that'll save you some time but other settings will have to be re configured.

Ok- yeah was thinking it could be related. How do I go back to the old version of tunerstudio though? Please guide me through because me and computers dont mix sometimes.

Still not sure why the ecu will not 'fire' up. All that I get is the one led (running wasted spark so leds are spark outputs) and why the pump just stays on rather than priming and then clicking off. Unless its something to do with the startup idle box that I opened. 

I want my old TS back. I dont want to upload new firmware on ecu. Anyway- i cant even get ecu to connect with laptop now. bugger

be carefull you don't ruin the spark outputs by leaving them on. may blow coils / ignitor / how ever you have it set up i'd unplug coils untill you can confirm you have fixxed the configuration errors. There is a page around with historic firmware / tuner studio files available I think on the ms extra website. Id have a quick look for you but its blocked on this computer. or they may be on www.efianalytics.com

You may also have the original install file available for what ever software you used to use was it megatune or tunerstudio? you could try uninstalling the current version and re installing your original file. May have to do it off the net tho as im not sure if they automatically update once installed. but try these suggestions. 

​alternatively if you have the orgional msq file you had working fine if you can connect send this to the controller let it burn all settings etc then a pop up may apear saying blah blah blah does not match. take note and press no thanks then you can munually change these settings to what they should be insted of tunerstudio taking a stab in the dark for you. then make sure you save the file and burn all values.  

Cheers man for all this help!

I spoke to a friend here in nelson, quite a experienced rotary tuner dude and has a built a few msquirts. He has had the exact same problem when he went from megatune to TS and then later on with a TS upgrade. Reckons the same as you- the older firmware has something deep inside (magic I tell you!) that doesnt like something else etc etc and they have a fight and it all goes pear shaped. He has had the leds dong weird things, the fuel pump running on etc. Basically said the same- reload the firmware.

I cant remember the firmware exactly- i just downloaded off msextra. But I can look back at my thread and work out a date then work out which one it was. I guess I will get the latest firmware? or do I need the older one ? I look up the date.  I have saved a fair few msqs and also wrote down all the settings for the setup ages ago. So re-entering all that info wont be a major. I have saved the latest tables too but for some reason the AFR table on TS is just all zeros? Bugger. Luckily I had saved screen shots of all the tables (I'm anal like that- I like a back up of info)

I am figuring then that the reason the laptop cant even find the ecu now is because of this firmware~TS problem? But when I put that little jumper back in place to replace the firmware the ecu should show up yeah? Hopefully....

Edit; it was around the end of Feb 2013 when I uploaded the firmware onto the Ecu.

You could upload the latest stable firmware release for ms2 and go from there that way your all upto date but will mean a bit of data entry with miss matched things etc. bit of checking over the tune encase the algrothium is miles apart from what you had. good you have lots of screen shots etc you should be able to see what firmware version you were running on the top bar thing. you could do this or you could upgrade both require about the same amount of messing around but later firmware is generally better unless you were running some special release that did extra magic things then dont bother as it'll screw with you lol

using the firmware upload tool is easy you may just have to send the file twice as sometimes it wont go through on the first go for some reason. and remember that jumper you have already mentioned.

unplug everything apart from power to the megasquirt when doing this and dont plug in untill your happy its all set up again weird stuff can happen. 

• Like 1

Cheers man!

Bloody hell- even the engine constants and all that guff is totally random. When I click on  tunerstudio basic setup, engine constants states that my engine is a single cylinder.....

Anyway- I have looked at a screen shot and its firmware is MS2/Extra release 3.2.4  20120901

I have removed the ecu from the car (easy as) and bought another db37 connector. Its now powered up off a spare feed from  our housetrucks house battery which means I can play around with it in the warmth of the truck. Too cold outside.

I'll have to read up on loading the firmware again as I cant really remember how to do it.

I'll be back here for sure.....

Yeah I remember the first time I loaded the code it didnt take. I went through almost the whole process then it finished but didnt load.  I had to try again and it was good.

Hannah reckons that every time we click 'burn' after some tuning it saves a MSQ as a Restore point. So I had a look and I have found some restore points from last night. Opening the last one up from last night in a new temporary TS project I can look at all the engine constants etc and its all good and as it should be.

Then I found a restore point from this morning at 8.16. That was pretty much when I tried starting it. I've done something eh and its gone weird.   When I open up that restore point from this morning in a new TS project the engine constants are all over the place! Things like it being a single cylinder and the required fuel being 0.

So I just looked at the communications box on last nights msq and I can click on settings and change things.  But on the current buggered msq I cant enter them. I am now wondering if it has reset something in the way it sees the ecu so it cant be found?

Yep Ive got decent power. so its all connected up on the bench and im getting thisprompt..

Fullscreen_capture_4082014_103151_p_m_00
image uploading

I have checked and double checked the ports. I changed the port number to com 1.  Restarted the computer and have tried twice again. It shouldnt be the driver for my ftdi usb-serial cable as it was working fine. But I checked for upgrades etc and tried again.

Powered up my ecu only has one led lit. I cant honestly remember if all three should be lit. The way i have it configured is wasted spark, 6 cylinder. So the led that is lit is spark output A. The other two are outputs B and C. BUt they aint lit up. Like i said Im not sure if they should be at this point with out it running?

Anyway- getting tired of all this. Maybe I'll try my old usb~serial cable in the morning ( a supposedly inferior non-ftdi chipset type)

If no joy there then I should be checking for certain voltages on the board? I cant see how I could have blown something though. I am sure it has to be a software issue. Maybe my laptop.

any suggestions on what to try next are most welcome :wink:

Yep done that. have also tried other usb to serial cables and no luck.

When I click 'test port' under communications settings on TS it fails. Yet according to the device manager the port works fine. So I suspect something wrong with the serial plug on the ms? I dont know. I cant see why it would suddenly stop working- not even a trace of smoke. I give up. bedtime. :-(

I'm using the ms extra code which is not mentioned in that link. I did just have a read of that and shit!... it states to put the jumper on both pins first. Whoops I thought that happens later. I forgot that because last time I loaded the firmware was straight after building the ecu. This hopefully will be the reason the laptop ain't finding it!