how to identify between an austin 1100 engine and a 1300??

Seedy Al

Hey chaps with top hats.

So will be looking at a bunch of morris slash austin parts this weekend with the hope of finding a replacement drice line for mourning cupcakes austin.

Was just after some advice on how to distinguish between a 1100 and 1300 engine and gearbox on the spot. Thanks guys. Probably a really dumb question everyone knows but I just want to be sure. Thanks kiddies

Allan

I'm guessing your refferring to the BMC a series engines?  If so then my info is only based off minis so bear with me 

an 1100 engine  should have the prefix 10 on the engine number =short for 1098

a 1300/1275 should have the prefix 12

the distance between rocker cover and thermostat housing will be bigger on the 1300 compared to the 1100  the area around that on the 1300 should also be flat 

hope this helps like i said this is what I know from minis so whether that would differenciate from other BMC models I dont know

cheers

1300's have no side plates is the simplest way. (one less place to leak oil)

They also have different frost plugs, I consider them modern ones over saucer type ones.

Gearbox I don't know how to identify them, ours has a standard housing with Allegro gear and needed some minor disc grinding work because the rods hit it.