Camshaft tech thread!

BobbyBreeze

Haha, had to comment Tom! On a direct acting setup the only issue in regards to what you are talking about is that the bucket is now closer to the cam axis so has less bearing area in the bucket bore. I haven't seen any issues in my time but I guess if you drop the b/c enough it is possible the bucket could rock in the bore and wear. I think its more likely that people have had issues with regrinds due to other factors - unsuitable cam profile, reground into softer material of the cam, incorrect clearance, bad oil etc. 

The size of the profile doesn't change, so your 0.25mm high lash ramp is still 0.25mm off the b/c etc. The only difference is the radius of each lift 'point' gets smaller but it doesn't matter on a direct-acting bucket as the radius is always positive. Hertzian contact stress does go up as the radius gets smaller but is not an issue apart from over the nose where the radius is the smallest. 

Thanks for the reply mate. So possible but not worth their time and/or effort? I can understand that.

Presumably the same for the M62?

Yes possible, especially if they are busy. They're normally pretty good for odd-ball stuff so could be another reason though. 

I would say they would do a M62 for you no troubles as they are hydraulic direct acting bucket so much easier to sort a profile and grind. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure exactly but I think the cam bore is maybe 40-45mm, std cams typically 8-10mm lift with around 10mm radius base circle? I think even the aftermarket cams once they go over about 11mm goto a smaller base circle. dont think I've seen any listed with more than 12mm lift.