Water Leak on Turbo

buddabeast

Hi guys,

I bought a Rb25det turbo last year finally got it all plugged in and fitted. But when I put water in the radiator water started pissing out the side of the turbo housing as you can see in the photo. I thought it was a casting defect initially but obiously it's a crack.

sokuj4hu.jry.jpg

Do you think I'll need another turbo or is there a decent weld (cast iron) that will fix it up and remain good with the high temps the turbo will have?

Maybe the other guy who owned it never used water... he didn't mention the crack in the auction, said it was good condition and went well on his cefiro..

My Nissan turbo has a crack in the exhaust housing and can see one in the water jacket aswell but I don't run water so not sure if it leaks. It's been like this for over 5 years and I run 18 psi aswell. Depends on weather your keen on the risk I never even considered it and I've been lucky I wouldn't repair it tho don't think welding the turbo core is a good idea maybe the housing.

Thanks for all your opinions. I've put this turbo on an old LD28 engine - in the past I have run it without water however I did have a problem with oil coming out bascially all ends of the turbo but I put this down to a kink in the oil return line to sump. I thought if oil couldn't get out that way then it must be finding another way out.. But that would mean it's making its way past oil seals so only other problem might be that the seals are screwed? So I may just try running it again without water and see if the oil stays inside the turbo as I have a non-kink return house now.

Cheers