Viva dimensions

nzstato

I've seen them cut and shut to make them narrower on kit cars and old hotrods.

Pretty easy and just need to add some plates to give it strength back.

Tricky bit might be the "outriggers" which go back to the chassis and where the radius arm mounts, should easy enough to fab something up for them.

I think I have a drawing that shows dimensions somewhere. Will have a look in the weekend.

I was going to use this setup in my Minor (even pulled the suspension from an HC and stored it for a few years). The biggest issue IIRC was the need to have high chassis rails (the beam mounts below the viva body) which are ugly/intrusive.

I finally sold it to someone who crashed their lotus 7 clone, and needed new parts.

Cool, I'm going to have to cut it down to 550mm ish between the mounts but that should give me track that will still be within the (lipped guards).

A35 had a really crap design (by modern standards), it was the first attempt by Austin to make a monocoq chassis and hence lacks any sort of rigidity at all.    It has two U chassis rails (which only go just past the firewall) and the dampers/springs are mounted direct to that, it didnt even have a crossmember (sort of braced with the lip at the front) and the engine mounts are forward of the suspension mounts.  So really, a silly design.

Yes I will have to make some silly high frame rails to get it to work as there arent really any other subframe options which would work with this kind of car. Torana, HT etc has too much arc on the A-arms and a bit too big.  Though ideas would be appreciated. 

Most kit cars and rods (those that didn't keep the front beam/transverse leaf) seemed to use the Viva front end.  Was easy and readily available, also about right for smaller cars.

Only thing is standard hubs and stubs are a bit lame, might need to run 1800 Magnum brakes, Victor brakes, or fab up something.

Chevette and Piazza are similar, but don't they use the inside tower to mount the top of the shock?  Still double wishbone, just slightly different component layout.

Viva is fully self contained, only need to bolt in the crossmember.  All the springs, shocks, etc are on-board.

Thanks man, just went out and put the tape measure over the car.  With a 20mm narrow this is going to work out perfectally.   Anywhere know where I could pick a complete front end up - SI wide?  Failing that I'm sure Prestons in Invercargill probably have a few stacked up.