link g1 v4 or microtech

Mitch.W

heaps of tuners hate om ms for some reason.  so as someone else said  talk to who ever is going to tune it before you buy.

most of it comes down to the tuning.  sure some ecu's are junk. but if you have a lazy tuner any ecu will be crap.   its easy enough to tune for full throttle / max power.  its the rest that takes the time.

biggest problem with ms is the triggers.  toyota stuff ive done have used a zeal daugher board with good results.  otherwise swap to a known trigger setup that will work with ms.

link all that stuff is done for you ^   wire in, tune, drive.    but the old v* links are getting pretty old. just like any other electronic's they aren't going to last forever

best question is "who is going to tune it"

ie no point buying cheap/what you can afford then finding out its not good for your application OR you wan launch control/bad flames outs you just cant tune with your ecu

ie go see Keith (or whoever) and keep them happy rather than making their job harder

seen so many projects continually changing things then finding the ecu is no good and "shoulda just gone with a Link in the first place"

Squirts are fin : I'm not repping links at all : just talk to your tuner :P

mate here in dvke fiddles with them fine and he gets advice from Kieth who could also I assume make a squrt go fine WITH the bonus of an actual dyno to see if its doing what it should AND not your average Joe`tuner butt-dyno

yeah Brennan just got his beams ke70 tuned there. said keith hates megasquirts

im mates with the guys/owners son at Roskilda autos so will likely let him take it for a drive and help tune it up for me hes very well known for that. in not 

heaps of tuners hate om ms for some reason.  so as someone else said  talk to who ever is going to tune it before you buy.

most of it comes down to the tuning.  sure some ecu's are junk. but if you have a lazy tuner any ecu will be crap.   its easy enough to tune for full throttle / max power.  its the rest that takes the time.

biggest problem with ms is the triggers.  toyota stuff ive done have used a zeal daugher board with good results.  otherwise swap to a known trigger setup that will work with ms.

link all that stuff is done for you ^   wire in, tune, drive.    but the old v* links are getting pretty old. just like any other electronic's they aren't going to last forever

Yeah i have found that alot of tuners just want a link to work with. i told them if they can supply my with one for the same price as a megasquirt then they can. 

Thats all I'm worried about buying a old link just little things letting go stopping me just from general wear and tear could really screw me over

+1 on Megasquirt, done a couple of tunes now with good success. I knew nothing about electronics before hand either.

They do take a bit more patience depending on the info around for your particular engine setup. Should be sweet with anything Toyota as they're super popular.

Mega squirt it looking like a very good contender at the moment. im going to flick them a email and see if i can get some direct from them prewierd. and if we buy afew at once we may be able to get them even cheaper!

i really know NOTHING about electronics at all would really like to do abit of hands on with someone that know all about this shit.

I agree I was abit hasty with my cas wiring and coil driver grounds when I converted from fuel only to wasted spark and I had heaps of issues ranging from poor idle up to coils frying after only 100ks I'd love to get a fully featured MS3 my old MS1 has done me well tho. I have nothing to compare it to except one of my mates has a link not sure what model on a pretty high hp sr20det and it has shit cold start and running and idle is bit shakey and he's been told its cause of the big injectors.

No the HPA Tuner Live Web cast today they were saying the new Link G4+ Atom is $999.

Not sure what that means for the distributors trying to move the old Atoms at ~$1500 on tardme at the moment, may see a few going cheap?.

Also the microtech LT-9c is ~$800au, if you have someone willing to tune it...

really? they put the price up on the storms,  now they have lowered the price on atom's?  $999, thats a pretty good deal!

big injectors can be a bit of a drama on the old links at idle.  lack of resolution means one increment on the fuel table  may overshoot your target fuel ratio.  but need to be chasing fairly big numbers to need injectors that big.

Think a lot of tuners don't like megasquirts because they are clased as DIY. Ive done a few installs for megasquirts even run one in my race car. I asked the fulla at dyno power in tga why some tuners don't like them he said he's not sure and if they can tune a link then they can tune a megasquirt. layout is different but thats it. You can do everything a g4 extreme can do with a ms2. but yes with the ms1 and 2 the triggering can be a bit of a fluff around but once you get a wheel that works for it then there is no problems. RB's run a 360 deg wheel that basically is too high resolution for the megasquirts to compensate for. but a 36-1 trigger set up is more than enough resolution for any ecu. 

But yes unless you are willing to tune it your self speek to who will tune it first because they may not want to tune a megasquirt and if there any reputible tuner then there is no reason why they cant. it will only take them 15 mins to get used to using tuner studio and in my eyes its far better layed out than the g4 software with all its drop down menus and cluttered main view. 

ps don't use auto tune for power runs / WOT tune that manually using auto tune for cruise and light load is fine but always do it manually for the upper range as it may cost you a motor.

• Like 1

^^ you can buy a new wheel for nissans that turns them into a "24-1-1" for like 10 bucks (got one in my isuzu dizzy and works a treat)

I think Burntrubber up there used paint to fill in 359 of the holes on his or something? so ended up being 4-1?

edit: 28usd from diyautotune

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/50-mm-optical-trigger-wheel-for-nissan-sr20det-or-ka24de-p-472.html

yup my self and jarrad (Megasquirt NZ LTD) originally came up with these RB wheels they are a 24-2 (before they were available on diyautotune) for the high res nissan cas. First we were maching the bottom pulley to have teeth put onto the outer ring and fitting a hall effect sensor. This worked well but it wasn't really a good solution to others who want to buy a ms from him. pull the pulley off send it away etc. so we decided to play with the cas wheel. first one I filled holes with devcon and used a dremel to cut out the others etc. Then I made a wheel from lithoplate that worked so we decided to get these wheels cut that he not sells with the RB ms kit on tardme. But changing the resolution of trigger wheels is nothing new alot of ecu's benifit from a lower resolution trigger set up. expecially cam driven sensors. Because you get cam belt lash the high resolution wheels can change the timing a considerable amount at high rpm then you get sync problems and the timing can wander all over the place. but then again some motors can do with more resolution. like some older mazdas that only have 4 points of reference and a reset. 

It all comes down to your application and what you want to acheive at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I had the same problem lol as you would crank the ms would loose its sync count then boom haha. Ive finally found a forum where megasquirts are accepted. lol a lot of the other fourms im on the guys seem to hate them but can never answer me when i ask why lol probably couldn't configure mspaint to work the red pen lol

• 2 weeks later...