Alto hates me, diff became religious/holy/holey

SP450andLE

I'll summarise this then tell the story.

My 1983 Suzuki Alto 800cc 4-door Auto (yay specific) has two holes in the diff (well I assume it's the diff, its behind where the driveshafts come out of). And I want to know why.

Story:

I replaced the heater hoses, fixed the broken temp sensor wire, removed and replaced the starter because the replacement didnt fit, then took it for a drive.

It went well, but it didnt want to turn right very much. I didnt think much of it because it has 13" starlet wheels and it's had rubbing issued before.

But then I turned hard right again, and it made a 'pop' noise and it could turn right more (the amount it usually would). I figured it had just bent the corner of the guard or something.

Then coming up to the driveway I pushed hard on the brakes to check they were working OK (it was on the gravel).

There was a clunk, which I guessed was something just moving inside the car.

But when I got up the drive and checked for where the tyres had bent the guard, I saw oil pouring out under the car.

I swore a bit then checked what was causing it. Which is where the situation with the holy diff comes in...

The car still drives (slowly forward at least).

So any ideas on what would have caused it?

I guess I'll be pulling out the engine and getting it welded up. Fun times.

probably something broke/fell off inside the box and got jammed between the crownwheel and housing- then escaped?

have had that happen before, doing skids on mates farm, broke diff, changed it when half cut later that evening in the dark, some of the broken diff parts had poked holes in the diff housing which i didnt notice till the next day