Junkyard Hall Effect Sensor

mikey

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

see your point on odometer, to counter the other one those micro servos are easier than a stepper, as far as you can just usually wire it directly to micros output gnd & powersupply

edit - did you mean nothing to connect to as in digital dash?

Yeah, there's no speed sensor anywhere currently, so no signal to convert unfortunately.

I've got this BLDC motor almost working. It's talking to the ESC and I have a button which effectively goes from full throttle to zero throttle. Problem is when I go full throttle it cuts-out after about half a second. 

I think it has something to do with the modulating signal changing slightly and the ESC cuts-out. I'll keep playing.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/mmcl055/media/VID_20130721_174146.mp4.html 

This is a video of it running at the slowest speed the controller will run at:

th_VID_20130721_182418.jpg

There's a couple of problems, that speed is far to fast, but also depending on how much load I put on the motor the speed jumps around quiet a bit. 

During that vid I'm changing how much weight I put on the motor which has a big effect on speed. 

Time will tell if this will be an issue or not. I need to organise a proper connection between the motor and speedo and see how it goes. 

Hmm, you might have to use 3 mosfets and drive it straight from the PIC.

To achieve slow enough speeds? I can drive the motor with the motor driver chip I was using for the stepper I had before. If I dont wanna run full speed though I have to PWM each coil as I go. Probably not a major problem. There's even open source ESC code for PIC's I can use.

But, would running a lower KV motor be enough to slow things down without all the bother?

One issue with the ESC is I _think_ they detect speed by reading the unused coil while they charge the other two. So that explains why it's susceptible to load but doesn't end out skipping steps. This is all just a theory / what I've pieced together today by reading / I know fuck all about these motors. 

But, would running a lower KV motor be enough to slow things down without all the bother? 

That would probably work but It wouldn't be enough. You would still have the same problem.

There's even open source ESC code for PIC's I can use.

I'd use that. This way you can get real slow speeds. It would probably be more accurate too.

Just lower the voltage to 7v or something and that will drop the speed by a bit as well, and a low kV motor too. You would need 6 FETs, not 3 BTW as you need 3 half bridges.

I would be happy to modify some AVR code to run on the ESCs and try that. Seems like the easiest way to go maybe?

The ESC does some sensing of the supply voltage and beeps warnings when it's too low. Not sure where that cut off is but it wont run as low as 5v. I don't have a proper adjustable power supply unfortunately.

The motor control chip I have has all the H-bridges I need, but I'm just not sure if PWM modulating the motor in open loop will work and it sounds like a truck load of work....

Modifying the AVR code would be great. But I'm just a little unsure if it'll work... If we slow down the motor too much I'm guessing it wont induce enough current in the unpowered coil to sense the correct timing and work in closed loop. 

Open loop seems to make more sense to me than closed loop anyhow, as we want to run at a set speed so we dont care about the optimal timing. However to avoid overstepping I have to PWM the coils as well as adjust the timing I switch them on and off. And at this point my brain hurts....

You should be able to get away with not PWMing the motor and just switch each coil on and off in the right sequence?

That will work fine in open loop providing the motor is big enough to keep up.

Yeah, maybe, it's worth a shot. I'll try and give it a go tomorrow.

It must be possible to get ESC's that work with precise speeds, otherwise RC helicopters would be shit.

Edit: Yeah, looks like a lot of ESC's allow you program them in constant speed mode. Which is probably what I need to do. Ned, any idea what model ESC this is? Or of that open source ESC code supports constant speed mode?

Have no idea. Just some cheaply non branded thing.

You can control those motors to go as slow as you want. Google/youtube bldc gimbal controller or something and people use those motors as stepper motors (actually, they rewind them if they want to keep them energised at a set position, but you get the point)

Maybe ESC from a radio control car rather than a plane, if they even have BLDE car motors?

Maybe RC plane stuff doesn't work for low speed because a plane just doesn't need to. What use is a little propeller turning at 10-100 rpm? lol