Cortina 1500 non XFlow head gasket repair

burrowssj

My brother is thinking of trying to repair his blown headgasket himself. I personally don't think this is a good idea because he doesn't know how to do it haha. But I want him to be prepared for the costs/labour involved before he does something and damages the engine.

Would someone be so kind as to make a short list of things he will need to get done while the head is off?

The car is a mk2 Ford cortina and it runs a 1500 non crossflow engine. Can you reuse the head bolts in these engines? 

Cheers Sam

ive pulled head off my 1600xflow and put it back on easy peasy took around a hour and half only needed a new gasket. but when the gasket is blown im sure there is more involved and more things you would want to fix up maintain while its a part

Disconnect battery

Drain water from radiator and engine

Remove heater pipes - if any

Remove exhaust and inlet manifolds

Remove any wires to sensors on the head + earth leads

Rocker cover off

Unbolt Rockers and pull pushrods out

Loosen and remove all head bolts in the manual specified order and any other bolts holding it down

bit of prising and the head will be off.

Can just replace gasket and put head back on but not really advisable unless flicking the car off to a poor unsuspecting buyer.

Personally i'd remove and regrind all the valves, also replace the valve stem seals, and check for head cracks and warping(possibly get it skimmed)

If it goes to a head resto place, options are to get hardened seats fitted for unleaded petrol, replace the valves and guides, port n polish etc etc. $$$$$$ are the limit

reverse above for head back on with new gaskets all round and re-use all bolts to correct torque

dont forget to retorque head too after 500-1000Km driving

I raced one of those motors in a Mk1 Cortina and we got so used to it that the head gasket could be changed and the valve lash re-adjusted in 29 minutes. Drive in - drive out.

The best think your brother could do is to buy a workshop manual, take his time, lay all the parts out in the order they belong.... and take the head and gasket to an engine re-conditioner once they are off. Do not clean anything before the re-conditioner has had a look.

You won't don't know it actually has a blown head-gasket until it's off. It could be worse. The have a habit of cracking heads - but they are usually repairable

P.S. Those 2731 blocks were a good motor, not very common, but good (if it's an original 1500 Mk2)

• Like 1

Get a decent straight edge and some feeler gauges, and check if it's warped too.

I WOULD NOT lap/recut the valves. Do the seals for sure. But I'd leave the rest alone.

Engine parts tend to wear out at the same speed. Mint out the valve seats, and neck minute the rings might not be able to hold the oil in anymore. I've done it myself.