Diff head rebuild/set up.

Vintage Grumble

Helloooo, I have to change the bearings and CW&P on my diff head, and i've never set up a diff head before. I will try get my hands on a manual with (hopefully) all the info I should need, but was just wondering if anyone who has done this before, has any tips/pointers/DONT DO THAT OR YOU'LL FUCK IT/advice about setting them up.

I guess the main issues are getting the bearing preload and gear meshing points spot on?

Any tips or info would be great.

Make sure you use thread lock on all the fasteners.

Pre-lube the bearings, spiders and LSD bits if fitted.

Do not reuse the crush tube on the pinion (this takes all the guess work out of pinion preload).

Other than that just stick to the required stats.

If you are real paranoid use bearing blue to confirm set up, very old skool I know but it can be more reliable than just using fellers to set up the crown alignment.

Take your time and be careful dropping the center into the case, it is surprisingly easy to chip or mark the crown wheel or pinion.

Going to be good to see your car back on the road.

Hope the move doesn't hold you up to much.

Make sure you use thread lock on all the fasteners.

Pre-lube the bearings, spiders and LSD bits if fitted.

Do not reuse the crush tube on the pinion (this takes all the guess work out of pinion preload).

Other than that just stick to the required stats.

If you are real paranoid use bearing blue to confirm set up, very old skool I know but it can be more reliable than just using fellers to set up the crown alignment.

Take your time and be careful dropping the center into the case, it is surprisingly easy to chip or mark the crown wheel or pinion.

Going to be good to see your car back on the road.

Hope the move doesn't hold you up to much.

There is some good advice in there, thank you sir. I was planning on using the bearing blue method to check anyways.

Steelie gears they are very good at what they do 

I tried to look this place up, but keep getting some place in the UK? I will likely have a go myself as monies a bit tight at the mo, but want it done asap, as an 86 with no LSD is like nachos with no chips.

Mmmmmm pasta.

Yeh, just sending it to aucks and back alone will cost a fair bit, they are pretty friggen heavy! I have/had a manual with how to rebuild them in there, so if I can find that I should be away. I assume the ratio of the diff doesn't affect any of the settings? As i'll be going from a 4.3 to a 4.66 ratio.

Do you have the whole diff head? or are you putting the 4.6 in your current head? If the 4.66 is well used and setup in a diff head already, definitely check the backlash and contact patterns before pulling it apart.  if the contact pattern is ok and backlash isn't to bad. id try set it up as it was.  with  a few of the old hilux diffs ive done, dialing up the backlash to spec, has resulted in whining diff due to poor contact pattern.  (this was without touching the pinion depth)

otherwise,

Spend time getting the pinion preload right. unsure if they run a crush tube, hilux stuff is solid and shims to set  preload and depth

Side bearings. crank them up to max spec.  less crownwheel deflection, so stronger 

Check contact patterns. get them correct else you will  end up with a whine.  that is the last thing you want, when going for a nice drive in the country

there is some decent info on this site if you can be bothered sifting though it

http://www.gearinstalls.com/

I got mine set up recently, all shimmed up etc only cost $150 from a place here in Welly.  That was to install bearings, LSD centre, set up CWP, check settings.

Not too hard to do it yourself either (have done some successfully, some not so successful), but comes down to time and CBF factor.