air suspension/ aux springs

hmmmnz

as you know i have the old merc camper,

now this old bus must be at its limits for suspension design, having what i can only assume

is the max weight on it at all times,

any way needless to say it rocks around in the back,

there are air bag systems out there, even extra coil springs that sit between the chassis and the leaf,

is the any reason i couldnt use a coil over unit to replace my existing standard dampeners/shocks?

ok fuck knows what the dampening rates would be or the spring rates added to leafs,

but apart from the obvious would it make a difference, worth buy a cheap set the right-ish size and giving it ago,

i did look at the air bellow suspension but they are about $1000, and thats not even fitted, a quarter of my van budget!! no thanks

i was thinking of another leaf, i did it to the old velox with great results (mazda bongo spring) i like the idea of the airbag, but they seem to be massively over priced here in the uk, the us site has them listed for under a quarter the price, not that they have them for the merc, but i can adapt something, thats if they'll ship it to the uk,

any way, any reason i couldnt use a coil over?? in replacement for the standard shock?

Hey got a bit of second hand knowledge for you that may be useful the company i work for uses merc vans we also have a v8 supercar mechanic working for us he's fitted the sway bars from the longest heaviest merc in the same series his van is shall we say terrifying to be a passenger in it grips insanely well and doesnt roll. if you beefed up your bars and maybe some quality shocks in the back to tame the bounce you should be pretty happy.

• Like 1

that might be an idea, so something off a 608d might be the go, i wonder what the difference is suspension wise between the vans, as far as i can tell they all use the same chassis but have different weight classes, (apart from the dual wheels)

mucho thanks guys, extra leaf and some super heavy duty shocks and possible sway bar might be just the ticket