Purchasing 2nd hand motor - TIPS/HINTS Required.

kseries.rookie

Right, so following the story of my fucked RB20de motor (post can be found here: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/36231-rb-motor-series-advice-required-help/)

A mate of mine has a 20de sitting in his garage that he stored as he picked it up cheap from a mate who was upgrading to a 25det.

Long story short-ish.. I am having a look at it today. He said the car had done 163,000kms when he took the motor out and it ran sweet. He said cambelt was also changed around 120 - which I will do anyways seeing as it'l be out the car so simple as.

I know you never know the condition of a motor unless you start taking it apart or get it running and see what happends..

but is there any tips or hints or tricks that I look for when seeing if it's buggered from the outside? Apart from the obvious by looking inside the oil cap to see if any milky damage etc (which can easily be hidden by simply pouring new oil in and not running it?)

Any help would be huuugely appreciated!

Thanks heaps :)

if you could bolt a starter motor on and do a compression test that would be top of my list

the smell inside the rocker cover, can often smell burnt oil when engine has had hard life, or fuel if rings are fucked

pretty much always a gamble tho, 20de are worth next to nothing so not that much of a gamble?

• Like 1

just pay on the basis that it is worth something as a collection of potentially usable parts and if you find it runs later then you win, rather than paying over the odds on the assumption its a 'good runner' you require desperately for your daily.

vary $ on the basis of truthiness of mates of mates claims and any objective testing tips raised in this thread?

You could have replaced the head gasket by now....

Look for sludge build up under rocker cover, weeping frost plugs, signs of old oil leaks etc the obvious.

It could blow a head gasket in a few thousand kms though, I always make people aware of this before I rebuilt a known well serviced engine.