Servicing a auto trans

HighLUX

Whats the go with doing a filter and new ATF on a auto box?

Iv never been near one before and their inner workings are black magic as far as Im concerned.

Do I just drain the old fluid out and take off the pan to install a new filter? What about draining the torque converter, do I just let it idle in drive so it pumps dry then fill it back up?

Have a look, if it has a dip stick for the trans you can usually fill it through there. TBH you probably can do it yourself, I just know that I can't on my BMW lol, Also, just idling is fine, no need for d, and I don't think you ever actually manage to get all of the old stuff out.

I've only ever done commy ones, but all it involves is,

Drain the tranzzzz

whip off the pan

whip off old filter

slap on new filter

clean out pan and magnet

slap pan back on

fill with oil

the end.

Remember to put the magnet back in, I had a bad habbit of sticking them to the hoist, then not putting them back in. Theres around 30 holdens around auckland with no magnets. And a hoist with around that number stuck to it at schofields.

Mission complete! Doing the flush and filter was easy the worst bit was getting the pan off as half the bolts were tucked up under the x member.

Old ATF was brown and smelly, there was sooo much filling stuck to the magnets

The difference its made to the trans is night and day