nzstato

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Went up and borrowed my mates press, was able to swab out the pinion bearings without a)hurting myself b)damaging the press and/or the pinion c) damaging any of the very expensive cars around me - win.

Will have photos up in the next day or two of me detailing assembly of the diff.

Ha- I remember doing all this to my old series 2. It was a $500 special but actually was in very good nick.  That is until I had it at top of hill servicing brakes then wanted to move it down a bit then it got away on me and only way to stop was pull transmission brake on. Bang clunk clunk clunk. I blew many bits apart in the main box. Bugger. And boy are the boxes heavy!!! I had to replace many bits. other than that the old thing never let me down with many miles of very fun 4wding trips.

My brother had a 2A with a holden 202 and LPG. Big wheels. was quite quick actually. But did like to drink. So many snowboarding trips up to Mt Hutt in the early 90's were had in that. I could never get along with the throttle pedal position though- awkward on long trips and got tired ankle.

My cousin borrowed it and blew the top off the number 5 piston- apparently a common thing on those engines?

Yep- landies are awesome.

• Like 1

Real?  Havent found that issue yet, but I havent driven it that far (it was screaming its nuts off at 70k).  Thinking about flagging a day off work tomorrow to finish up the rear axle, need to drill and weld in a new fill bung.  Then need someone to give me a hand to lift them back onto the springs.

I was told that 202s hate too much timing advance and as alex said they knock the tops off the pistons apparently. weird. 

my accelerator pedal is lush enough, although the pedal ratio is all up the shit after converting it to half linkage, half cable spec. also I need to bend it as it got hung up in the factory mats the other day and went full skids on valve bounce on me. lol

love seeing full on axle rebuilds like this. good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm good to know.

This rear diff has had a brazing repair somewhere along the line too, just above the drain.  A common area to damage.  Considering buying some diff bash plates if I want to get serious with it.

does yours still have the fabric check straps on the rear too?

yeah all the ladrover jokers seem to add bashplates. I wouldn't have thought them to be any more or less vulnerable than Toyota stuff and nobody really seems to do much with them.

worth doing though

what's yours brake like?

It has most of them, its not the best top so going to go round to a local business and see it is worth repairing.  Failing that I'll get one for $400 ex UK.

Not sure what they toyotas are like but the diff housing in that area is pretty thin....

Brakes are ok (though woeful by modern terms), probably could be a touch better if I spent some time on them.  The booster has been a hassle though - when the diesel conversion was done it was just a straight pipe from the alt pump to the booster.  I've added an additional tank since I got it which is an improvement, could probably do with a new booster though.