Help V8 experts please

otazup

Exactly, you can't just change the firing order without changing the cam and sometimes also the crank depending on the engine/what you are changing it to.

ok, Joe might of fucked up there. the cam had been changed which changed the firing order to the opposite of what we deduced it was. definately 289, though

Hi guys thanks for the replies I can see everyones point of view. For now I'm gona try the transfer slot thing that clevomafia is talking about as I didn't check that. I know my pump isn't bottoming out. It feels like its a prolem like transistioning from idle to wot. Ill check that and report back, another reason to buy carbs brand new, still its fun playing with them haha. Cheers jason

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys the plot thickens, was doing more tuning yesterday and now a tick has developed from no.8 cyl, seems to be lifter related. pulled out plug and is abit wet with fuel. not soaked but not sooty either., im picking this is the cause of my miss the whole time. and nows its just got worse, i am gonna take covers off tomorrow and inspect but my question now is how do i test that the lifters are 100% or not. i will pull pushrods and clean throughly too cheers

cheers man, engine is virgin done about 67,000ks from 1971, i pulled heads off today, heaps of carbon build up, strange for such a low ks motor i thought, hasnt been taken for a decent run in 3 years or so. bores are good. my question for now is, should the lifters be springy when i push in the middle of them?, if so then i think thats the problem. only 1 of the 16 do haha!! and when i remove them they are pretty concave underneath and also the cam has lots of pitting on, im probably in for a rebuild but im still keen to know about the lifters if anyone knows?? oh and the springs look to be sweet, the valves all go in and out and the pushrods look straight and clean inside. thanks heaps jason

if the lifters are visibly concave on the base then they are fucked.

what is supposed to happen, is the lifter is flat on the bottom, the cam lobe is ground with a slight angle on it, as the lobe pushes the lifter, the lifter spins in its bore. once stuff wears, the lifter wont spin any more and everything wears faster. had a 302w apart for a noisy lifter a while ago, it had worn thru the bottom of the lifter. all this is why its very important to run in a cam correctly on older v8s

oil pressure is what takes up the slack in a hydraulic lifter, so if you have removed them it is possible to push the plunger in by hand. thats why you will quite often hear a rattly lifter when you start a hydraulic cam engine when its been sitting a while, because a valve has been open/lifter on the cam lobe, the lifter bleeds down as the valvespring pushes against it.

oil pressure is what takes up the slack in a hydraulic lifter, so if you have removed them it is possible to push the plunger in by hand. thats why you will quite often hear a rattly lifter when you start a hydraulic cam engine when its been sitting a while, because a valve has been open/lifter on the cam lobe, the lifter bleeds down as the valvespring pushes against it.

Also if you hear a noisy lifter even when the engine is warm its because the lifter is bleeding off pressure and therefore increases valve lash producing a ticking noise..