4K Camshaft Upgrade

Aaron

Hey guys, just looking for a little advice.

As you know, my 4K is 100% standard, but I'm just looking for a little more power.

I was looking on aucklandcams.co.nz at their 3-4K cams here and I think the Stage 3 or 4 one, and it seems thats what I'm after.

So basically, I was just wondering if either one of those would be OK with a standard 4K.

Thanks in advance.

Either of those would need an uprated exhaust to go with it - Stage 5 would be the most agressive I would go on the road and maintain driveability. Even then it would most probably still be a bit of a pain in rush hour traffic.

Stage 4 would be OK with upgraded exhaust and standard inlet - but Stage 5 I would start to look for a better inlet to take advantage of it - ie a factory twin carb manifold..

This is all dependent on the rest of the motor being in decent condition too...

Cheers kk.

Turns out motor isn't as stuffed as I was advised. It was just the radiator was so fully of rust and gunk it just stopped working. New radiator has fixed that though.

P.S: Head gasket seems to be all good.

They have a tighter LSA because of the lower duration. You'll find that even with the closed up lobe centres they will have less overlap than the larger duration cams that are ground on 108.

If its a bog stock motor without any mods, I wouldn't bother with a cam regrind. I'd sort intake and exhaust first, but that's just me. Don't forget you will need to get your lifters refaced too.

Without sounding like an arsehole, I'd probably manual swap it for the greatest perceived performance gain.

I have a 4spd you can have, pretty sure I can suss you a pedalbox and most of the bits needed mechnically (buy a new clutch of course), center consoles aren't hard to find etc.