tapping noise.

LingLing

Yea on a 20v the VVT solenoid is the first place to look for a tick, then if you have a hydraulic tensioner those can go and leave the cambelt slapping around, but thats pretty noisy. Valve clearence is usually good but check if you are concerned

Anyway as above check this exhaust situation out. Then check the valve clearances they are usually all in spec or bloody close even on old bluetops, if any are out of spec shim to suit. I am a huge fan of never putting any additive in your oil ever, unless you are masking a problem to sell it etc, or its a piece of shit you don't care about.

i very much dislike oil additives, there's one at work thicker than honey :/

my fairly quiet tick goes away once the engine is about 1/3 warmed up, so its probably a small exhaust leak, either way, not that worried, serves as a nice signal to when i can thrash it haha

Yours might be a quiet VVT knock fliboi. It'll be going away once the oil warms up and expands.

Andy, your tap is quite likely "start up knock", which is really common in old 4AGE's. It's just the bottom end bearings saying hello before they get oil pressure. What grade of oil do you run? Go for a 15 40 and see what happens.

Tightened up all the exhaust bolt, still have start up tapping noise. it does seems go away few seconds or warm up later.

Overall the engine is bit noisy compare to new modern engine due to the exhaust manifold mod?. but then it isn't as noisy as the last Megasquirt bluetop.

Yours might be a quiet VVT knock fliboi. It'll be going away once the oil warms up and expands.

Andy, your tap is quite likely "start up knock", which is really common in old 4AGE's. It's just the bottom end bearings saying hello before they get oil pressure. What grade of oil do you run? Go for a 15 40 and see what happens.

Currently running 10-40, ok next oil change would be 15 40.

Tightened up all the exhaust bolt, still have start up tapping noise. it does seems go away few seconds or warm up later.

Overall the engine is bit noisy compare to new modern engine due to the exhaust manifold mod?. but then it isn't as noisy as the last Megasquirt bluetop.

Currently running 10-40, ok next oil change would be 15 40.

CHANGE IT THIS WEEKEND

i wasnt aware you wanted to replace the engine due to having your bearings fail, trust me, its not that enjoyable.

and Truenotch, im 99% certain its slight vvt tick, it goes away well before its at full running temps, and im not at all concerned, which is why im currently enjoying thrashing the tits off it once shes nice and warm :D

also im under the impression vvt wont engage untill the car is warm? hence why even if i kick it in the guts at cold the tick wont go away, but with some engines with major vvt kick, once its warm, its still there untill vvt engages.

Those VVT things always tick. Old lady has one, I've tested it all out; the solenoid, the timing change etc all works fine. Still ticks like a diesel all the time.

this one is pretty good, the old head sounded like a tractor :lol:

edit: then again the bottom end also sounded like an AA gun...