tapping noise.

LingLing

Since I had this car, The 4age bluetop does have some tapping noise while it first start in cold, but when it gets warm it seems to be better. or maybe my exhaust and diff is so noisy I can't hear it.

I have done bit research and found this might be the easiest way to treat it.

44100%20front.jpg?1326585093

http://rislone.co.nz/catalog/view/117-e ... ment-44100

Don't have the knowledge nor have the tools to replace the valve lifter yet.

• Like 1

If it takes a minute for the noise to disappear (or get less) old be an exhaust leak.. check the junction where the exhaust meets the manifold.

If there is black sooty marks there, you have a leak. You could try mani seal putty.

You may have more loose bolts, tighten the bolts on your manifold (and the ones on the flange that covers the junction of the manifold and exhaust pipe if you have a cast iron manifold, if you have extractors, they are probably welded to the pipe)

Just tighten them gently, toyota didnt use TRD bolts when attaching manifolds so they could snap

that will be some of your problem.. replace the bolt.

Did you use new gaskets?

No, didn't use new gaskets either. they're piece of metal like gasket, and no damage on them, why should I need to replace it?

solid lifters, so what else could cause the noise?

my 20v 4age makes a bit of a tap when its cold, but im not really sure what it is.

could very likley be the exhuast manifold leak as felix described, need to check that out.

was also wondering if it could be the injectors as i read somewhere they they can be a bit noisey, is that even possible?

also solid lifters = cam right onto the valve/follower? because thats what i have.

edit: might actaully be very very mild vvt pully tick, wont be an issue on your 16v version