rear suspension , irs toyota ,BC coilovers . . .

ta63-1uzze

so i have been cutting and modifying shit to try fit the back of the carina . but no luck so far. tried to fit some rear coil overs, but to close to the body . i could remake the rear tower and add supports you know make it fit. but before i get stuck into that i did a Google search and came up with BC coil overs of a mx83 for sale on trademe , and some T3 setup for a older supra that look great but once you add shipping etc it gets a bit out of control . and a quick old school search found that they people have used the BC setup with good results.

so the question is will these fit the carina, i am not entirely sure that the rear subfame is the same in cressida crowns all the bigger older toyotas, they do look the same but before i go spend a bucket load on this setup i thought it best to ask, so not sure if the spring perches will fit . and on the front setup i am not sure that the camber tops will bolt in to the carina. so am here asking you lot see what you have to say.

i like what i have built so far , but seeing as i have spent so much on every other part of this build it would be nice to see that reflected in all aspects of my build. oh and before i forget , are the bottem of the front bc suspension made from steel ? need to know if i can mig weld them if i do end up getting them

any way this is the link to the BC on tard me

" http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 903161.htm"

A quick read in the tech articles section should cover that.

however, the BC setup you are talking about, is that the ones with the spring plates that are threaded and the shocks that are hight adjustable??

IE, they are not coil overs, but a an adjustable spring plate with seperate shock?

If you can weld to a good standard, why not just build your own coilovers? Has been done before, if I wasn't scoffing my lunch i'd have a look. But have a search as it may even be a sticky somewhere on here.

Actually it's linked in here //oldschool.co.nz/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34360

Lol yeah I can weld, check out my build thread I have already successfully made my own front coil overs, am very happy with the results. But the rear is a different setup, and so far I haven't won the fight , so I started to look at professional coil over set ups, I don't think they would sell me just the rear so would have to re do the lot any way. I am unsure if there ones will fit . My car isn't a mx83 . But its very similar I believe but I could be wrong. There may even be some other rear suspension setup that I am unaware off , so that's kinda what this post is all about.

A quick read in the tech articles section should cover that.

however, the BC setup you are talking about, is that the ones with the spring plates that are threaded and the shocks that are hight adjustable??

IE, they are not coil overs, but a an adjustable spring plate with seperate shock?

Yes, you are correct, I am not sure if a mx83 rear is the same as a ta63. . And secondly if the setup is any good. Looking for some Feed back from people who have this setup . do they go low enough? fit well. pass cirt etc.

Getting the fronts is just a bonus really, I don't need them as I have made my own but I can't find a solution for the rear so am looking at buying the bc setup and selling on the ones I have made

edit* phone isnt very good way of answering posts. sometimes the spelling is not quite right.

BMWs use a similar rear setup where the springs are separate to the shocks

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 250198.htm

But you can also get an inverted rear coilover shock, which may work for you as it is designed to work with a small turret

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 538094.htm

the seller above is a good guy and may even sell rear only. XYZ seem to be ok. I haven't heard anything bad yet from anyone who has used them, only people who don't like the name.

Old nathing has the BC setup in the rear of his Cressida, But its Not IRS

And i think the same kit covers Gx61 up to mx83, but i'm not sure

maybe Pm old nathan, he is a GC and can give you some feed back.

that goes to show you how much i know about any other kind of old toyota other than carina , i thought all the bigger ones were irs . no idea why i thought that. am guessing that means that kit wont fit ? : (

i have already got low springs and i think they were mustang rear shocks that keep it captive . they sit nice and low but i would like to be able to adjust the height and hardness for event days . i know that celica supra is the same as my car but cant find any bolt in kits for that. . . there has to be something in nz that will work.

them bmw ones look like a go apart from the spring pig tail wont work, probaly means the adjuster will be to small too.

these look so god damn awesome !!!! but when you add import tax and freight and exchange rate they get a bit too stupid .

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/ma60 ... ma60-supra

mx83 has a different setup. multi link instead of semi trailing arm (like x7)

edit: the picture on that trademe auction is wrong, not mx83/jzx81, they have a coilover in the rear!

thank you for that information that is just what i needed to know, it sad to find out that its no good for my intensions but saves me a lot of mucking around.

99.9999% of people with adjustables put them in set the height and thats it.

thats how the majority of competition (drift) cars iv com across) are run, maybe the odd damper adjustment but iv never seen someone adjust preload "hardness" as you said it.

and most of the stuff iv read lately basically says that all the cheapish coilovers (BC D2 Tein xyz cusco etc etc) the adjustment actually doesnt do sweet fuck all when put on a shock dyno.....

Can you just use ae86 stuff?

no idea to be honest, any one elaborate on this for me? Any one have any measurements for the spring perches ?

99.9999% of people with adjustables put them in set the height and that’s it.

thats how the majority of competition (drift) cars iv com across) are run, maybe the odd damper adjustment but iv never seen someone adjust preload "hardness" as you said it.

and most of the stuff iv read lately basically says that all the cheapish coilovers (BC D2 Tein xyz cusco etc etc) the adjustment actually doesnt do sweet fuck all when put on a shock dyno.....

i can do wheel alignments at work so my plan is to have it at a nice 100mm for driving and general use, and getting in and out of my bastard driveway, then when a drift day or skid day comes up i can throw wheels and jack in my daily driver ,the trusty K rolla wagon , the boys will drive that to the track with the gear in the back, and i can lower the carina stiffen up the ride and take it to the track, have my fun then take it to work and set it back at nice height and camber. . . i already have modified my sub frame for camber and it has toe adjustment from factory(rear), the front is easy as for camber caster and toe adjustments with caster arms and top camber plates .

this is what the boys do at work . but they are in a different ball game to me.

well that was the plan but if i cant make the rear height adjustable with spring perches or coil overs, then i will have to modify the strut mounts and fit something else in there, i would just prefer to use bolt in gear as it make less work and much simpler for certification. Seams like there isn’t much bolt in shit for the old carina.