Be4vers Datsun 260C Discussion

be4ver

I knew of one, but was too slow getting to it and has since found the crushers - real gay cos it had good guards and bonnet.

Ill keep an ear out for you though cos im after bits for my 240c wagon.

Sweet looking car dude - you gotta love how lux and cruizy they are though

Mine's relatively low, big tyres are holding it up but it was bang on 100mm to the crossmember when the springs were fresh, I imagine they've sagged a bit now.

Rear is super simple 2" blocks and a 30mm reset of the springs so that's easy as. I had to cut my bumpstops down at both ends but unless you're a 260C trainspotter no one is going to know, plus it's still super squishy and sweet when it hits them over the really large bumps/undulation.

KK has been through this as I understand.

230 ball joints have a smaller taper than 330 ones, so you'll run into the same issue as you did with the 720 ball joints.

So your options are thus:

- rebuild the 230 ball joints

- get the tapers bored to suit the larger 330 ball joint

- find some late 230 or 330 hubs/knuckles (or whatever they are... this kind of suspension is still foreign to me) and install, buy 330 ball joints and live happily ever after.

But KK will be able to give you a definitive answer as he encountered the same issue with the 230 wagon, and no doubt given time I'll encounter the same problem with my one.

• 2 months later...

On removing all the muck, I had the same problem with my kingpins, and found that Shower witch (shower cleaner stuff) works great and is cheap. I soaked a few rags in the cleaner, then let the kingpin soak in a bowl for a bit. Then came off easily with a wire brush.

KK has been through this as I understand.

230 ball joints have a smaller taper than 330 ones, so you'll run into the same issue as you did with the 720 ball joints.

So your options are thus:

- rebuild the 230 ball joints

- get the tapers bored to suit the larger 330 ball joint

- find some late 230 or 330 hubs/knuckles (or whatever they are... this kind of suspension is still foreign to me) and install, buy 330 ball joints and live happily ever after.

But KK will be able to give you a definitive answer as he encountered the same issue with the 230 wagon, and no doubt given time I'll encounter the same problem with my one.

Sorry I have only just seen this now. I did option 2.

Cost me $120 for an engineer to machine the tapers bigger. You can buy brand new 330 joints no problems..

Get the joints from Autolign or BnT and give the new joints and stub axles to an engineer - you will live happily ever after.

Oh all good man! I've actually already sent them off to get repaired, decided that the for the cost of new ball joints plus the cost of engineers time plus the cuntyness of pulling shit all apart, It would be far easier to just get the old ones repaired and bang straight back in.

New off the shelf ones would have been better to fit I know but I'm sure these fixed ones will still out last the rest of the cars lifespan or my ownership of it at least. Happily ever after.

I would agree but it depends who is rebuilding the joints - if they are just injecting a polymer into the joint then they will last fuck all.

If they are properly pulling the joints apart and remanufacturing the parts then it should be all good..

When I did it I could not be entirely sure whether the ones I was going to get rebuilt were going to be done properly or not so I went with the option I did.

There is now one company that does a top job on them but the name escapes me - I think they are in Christchurch... (although they are expensive as all hell)