a few Q's about mk5 cortinas

shizzl

ok so ive been contemplating swapping my ute for a mk5.

its had a 5speed dropped in it, it needs a new driveshaft rubber yoke thing(stupid idea from factory)..

thats no problem..

its got some play in the steering although it doesnt feel like tie rod ends..

so would this be rack ends?? common fault on these? wof sheet says it pulls to the right aswell.

cold starting is a cunt...have to pump the gas while cranking it, so its telling me the auto choke is being a dick.

whats the normal go with these/how they work, cos i think theyr operated by the heater hoses/coolant temp yeah?

easy fix?

other than that it runs good...needs alot of low added,trim the guard lips at the back cos the tyres rub by about 3mm..

what carb does it have? I fixed the auto choke on a twin-choke downdraft weber once. Out of a Capri II GT.

Weber specialties was very helpful when it came to fixing the offload valve (a little paper diaphragm thingy that sucks opens the butterflies a tad when the engine fires). because the diaphragm was broken the shaft had turned and was stopping the butterflies from closing.

as for mk 5s, well they still seem pretty bogan to me. but I'm 37. I guess if you are under 30 you won't remember how bogan they used to be so they will just seem nice and classic. It's weird how that works

im 32, i had a mk5 back in the 90s...im still bogan as,so it doesnt matter.

this sucker has louvres and modgies and black racing stripes,a wild cat steering wheel thats loose, so ticks all the bogan boxes..

its got the webber on it, pretty sure theyr a 32/36 or something..

yip,if its a 2 litre itll be a 32/36 dgav weber :).the sport had the same issue with steering,i fitted another rack i had as it appeared to me that the inner rack ends arent replaceable on a cortina rack.

havent really played with the auto choke setups,i just usually give both mine 2 pumps of the gas pedal,turn the key,and once it fires hold it around 1500rpm via the gas pedal,i do however run both them slightly rich so that would help a bit.

and as for bogan spec,the sport is currently being sprayed satin black(not permanent!!!),has hotwires,tints and a louvre outside,and a wildcat wheel inside 8) lmao

You can get rebuild kits for the carb off tardme. Always a good plan.

Tighten the rack up with a stilson - take off a tre, loosen the gaiter and tighen until the track rod doesn't flop around. refill with SAE-90. job done.

yup,can picture in my head, just couldnt remember if i had done them on my 1st tina or not.

i know my rack in that was shagged too...

cheers boys...

been looking at a few tinas on TM and they have gone up in price,so makes it a worthy swap,even though ive just gone through the hassle of wof on the ute...

might sell the lsd to fund some lower profile tyres for the modgies ;o

and ill put my recaros in it for sure...

tightening the rack is fairly easy, ive had to do it on a couple of the road legal mk5's ive had.

I would say the fuel pump is the hard starting problem as oppose to the choke

you might find it cheaper to buy a single piece driveshaft than a new driveshaft doughnut, then it solves that problem forever

also +1 for putting recaros in, they make the driving position so much more comfortable and fit semi easily to the mk5 rails