cut or not??

ta63-1uzze

So i have front windscreen rust, it’s mainly where the plastic clips were glued onto the edge to hold the chrome strips on. Someone had replaced the windscreen at some stage and filled the channel up with sealant; this in turn made nice little pockets to hold the moisture in.

i have wire brushed it rust killed wire brushed rust kill a few times . . . it’s looking a lot better but i am not sure if it needs to be cut out and replaced or if good rust kill and a good metal etch then prime is a good repair.

I will cut the little bit out at the bottom that has the tiny holes, but as for the rest of it i am not sure what is best to do. These bits are the worst bits I wire brushed it before the picture was taken. I don’t want to cut it out if i don’t have to as i am not keen to weld along the top edge of the roof. Very weary of warping the roof. But if it has to go then I will. Just looking for good advice from the professionals.

20120530_204050.jpg

20120530_204033.jpg

20120530_204007.jpg

20120530_203940.jpg

20120530_203929.jpg

20120530_203919.jpg

Looks like you've managed to clean it up pretty good.

You could get away with it but i'd run along it with a flap disc of a grinder to smooth it out and then give it a good poke with a screwdriver to check its not too thin. Then weld up as necessary.

If you've gotta weld the roof just take your time and try leave a bit of a lip when you cut the patch out to keep it in shape

If that was mine I would rust kill it until it was back to nice white metal. This is done by applying rust killer over and over again. This is one hundred percent possible but you need patience as it is very tedious. Then I'd take it to a good old school beater.

will take to it nicely with a grinder and low grit flapper see if it remains strong when given the screwdriver test, let you know how it goes

What is the best way of sealing it, I know that some primers absorb moisture and some etch into bare metal very well and also seal and don’t absorb moisture, I intend on painting the whole car in 2pack paint. For this bare metal situation do I use a etch then a 2pack primer? Or just a 2pack primer ontop of the rust kill? And is that ok to leave for a few months before I get the car painted?

if you planning on keeping it, cut that rusty thin lacey crap out and let some new steel in, otherwise youll be fixing up the scuttle panel/a-pillars AND redoing the windscreen next time but it will be even worse. rust converter is ok if there is some meat left but youve got holes already - it doesnt convert rust back into metal that used to be there.

You might even be able to cut the rust out without going onto the visible part of the a-pillar?

20120530203940.jpg

make some patches in the vice, just make sure you space your welding tacks out/take your time so you dont warp the pillar skin (pulling it in), and drill a couple holes for some plug welds on the inner itll be just like factory and last another 30 years, plus youll be able to put converter inside the A-pillar while your there.

If youve got a flapdisc on your grinder you can do anything!

Its fucked. Cut it out and replace it or take it too someone like Tony at Custom Metal Shapers in ET who can sort it. Going off the previous amount of questions you have posted you are probably quite fussy so want it right. It would bug the fuck out of me finishing a car and knowing that that was lurking in the body.

i think i will go to the hardware shop and get some flapper disks and some more dremal cutting disks. just get stuck into it

i find it easy to fix big holes as you just have to find good strong steel to weld to, were as these bits are all pitted and shity so looks like welding will be harder, more easy to blow through because the metal will be thinner, I only have a mig and I can’t turn the heat down any more. so to do good welds you have to have nice steel to weld to ,this is why i was wondering if just treating and sealing it would be a good real world repair, but i guess it’s best to just cut it all out and just do all the body work once. Just means the patches are going to have to be longer so I can weld them to good steel.

Will keep my build page updated, think I just have to start cutting and see how thin it really is