Turbo Timer question for Hilux Surfs

kiwi808

Hi everyone.

I have just bought a 1995 Hilux Surf 3.0ltr Turbo Desiel and it doesn't currently have a turbo timer fitted.

So my question to the poeple who know is:

Does it need one? If it does what would be the best kind to get and where is the best place to get one from?

Oh, and are they easy to fit or do I need someone to fit it for me.

Sorry if these are all dumb questions but this is the first turbo vechicle I have bought..

youjust wire them in to the ignition switch wiring. usually it's a piece of piss. just a matter of wiring it to the constant power, an earth, and to the 'ignition on' wire. easy!

If it were me I'd try and stay away from the OMG DIGITAL WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWOWW fully programmable style. I've had a couple and they always reset themselves so you have to reprogramme them all the time. most people probably do better but meh. I'd just always get one with a couple of switches on the front. Theres a common one that has a 3 position switch for 1, 3 or 5 minutes, and a red on/off switch.

they're not a bad idea. Usually a minute is all you'd want for a basic cool down. needing a turbo timer was really for the 80s though, turbo and oil tech have come a long way since then. not many turbos die these days due to premature shut down.

Thanks for the reply. I was told the same thing, that modern turbo vechicles didn't need them, but I wanted to be sure.

I am also going to alarm it, and have seen that Moongoose 5 stars come with a built in turbo timer so will probably go with that. But I am still interested to hear from any one else with opinions about Turbo timers etc..

I have had a few turbos, i prefer to remove the turbo timers as it provides an easy source to hotwire the ignition from.

Unless you live at the top of a huge hill which requires a spell at max boost they are a waste of time.

Not driving it hard balls for the last couple of k's before you intend on stopping will do much more for the longevity of the turbo/oil condition than having a turbo timer wasting your fuel after you walk away from your running vehicle....

^ that. Turbo timers are fairly superfluous these days. The only vehicle of mine that still has a turbo timer fitted is my track car; it came already installed and I left it in there since it was an easy method of letting the car idle down for a set period of time in the pits after a stint around the circuit.

But if you do want to fit one, note that some vehicles have two ignition circuits, and you'll need to ensure you wire both into the turbo timer, otherwise the cooling fans will never engage while the engine is idling down.

I've seen more turbo cars cook themselves this way than if they hadn't been equipped with a timer, ironically enough :|

just dont have it activated ON the track aye :P if ya need to stop fuel pissing onto a flame in a hurry etc. not ideal/wont be popular

Hah, yeah definitely not - it was rewired to only activate alongside a cooling fan switch that I flick on at low speed.

i was working on a pulsar gtir once that had a turbo timer

started engine

forgot oil filter had been removed 6months previous when starting engine work

it was on a hoist, oil pissing out

reached in turned key off

had to do gymnastics to jump in window to find timer and kill engine due to door not opening,cause it was on hoist

better work stories

+1 for just driving quietly for a while before stopping engine.

turning on full articulation with the bucket in the air up a slope.. just general muppet-ness / dude probably didn't want to work for the rest of the day..

I didn't get any pictures but the dude also tipped over a 120 tonne excavator and caused similar amounts of damage to one of it's 2 engines..

Sorry offtopic - i'll Sssh now.

Ps. don't get a turbo timer..