Solder vanishing?

Llama

So, in my effort to make one of these nifty needle removal thingies

file.php?1,file=103503,filename=PC080047.JPG

I didn't have a matching washer for the top part, so I was going to solder a smaller washer onto a larger one. However every time the solder melted and touched the two metals, it would fizzle and make a rather large amount of smoke, but leave me with no solder at all on the metal.

Is there something about soldering two types of steel together? I presume they were regular washers, maybe zinc plated.

[EDIT] just had a brainwave and I no longer need to solder it, but the question still stands...

The way you should be soldering two washers together is by getting them both extremely hot, and then just poking it with flux cord solder. Don't put solder on the iron and then try and move it to the washers as by then all the flux will have burned off. This counts for all soldering really. Get your object hot enough and poke it with your solder/tongue

Hmmm, I think I need a better soldering iron then, I could only get the solder to melt with holding the iron onto it for quite a while.

Obviously what I learned in year 8 metal work wasn't as useful as I thought xD

Proper irons are large and heated on a gas burner for ages to get up to temp. not your typical home jobbie though which tends to be crappy 50w electric irons.

anyone use one of those 100w gun sort of looking ones? any good?