205 pinto motor - spigot bearing problem

slickyddyer

Got this 205 motor off trade me. It used to be an automatic. Iv'e put it in my cortina all ready to go but this spigot bearing won't go in to the back of the crank shaft because it's never had one. The metals never been bored out for it. Iv'e tried grinding some of it out but it's no good. Do I have to take it out again and find a manual motor? Or can it be fitted some how?

Correct it's in the back of the crank and it has not been machined from factory because it had the torque converter in it which does not require a being as it's solid mounted to the crank. I can't figure out how to add photos on here but if you imagine the hole where it's meant to be...it's got a slight lip about 3mm in that runs right through to the end of the hole. So I'm fucked for putting this motor in as a manual at the moment. :evil:

The bearing just won't go in past this lip. I had a look at the torque converters shaft that was in there and it stops at the same point the bearing stops when i'm trying to get in in (about half way)

Thanks and good thinking.

It's a sierra motor...If that makes a difference.

Nothings in there that I can see, just metal.

The converter snout you are talking about is the exact same size as the bearing but it doesn't go in as far. (half way)

Where the snout stopped is where the bearing stops also. About half way in.

A picture speaks 1000 words.

Take a photo, upload it to photo bucket, put the arrow over your photo you want and 4 image codes will drop down below it, click on the lowest one, come to oldschool quick reply section click on it and press CNTRL C and you're done.

It really sounds loke the remains of the old spigot bearing ramed down inside.

You'll need to get it out.

Only way I can see to do it (when its pushed that far down is to cut a channel through it with a dremel and lots of patience - be careful not to take too much material off the crank - once you cut a channel through it with the dremel you should be able to pick it out with a screwdriver or a medium sized hook.

Fit new spigot bearing and you are off again..