Vegie's '83 S12 Gazelle

vegie

Guest vegie

yip you got it 87 notch yip factory manual and ca18det no intercooler :o ahah iv done the old jack it up and spin the wheels and its def lsd dam i hope its a clutch one!! i managed to save this as it was heading to a sure death needs plenty of work though !!! it has only had 1 owner since being in nz who was an old boy could be the same one ???

nice save! lol

could be the same car, as i dont think there was many imported. had a towbar which is odd for an s12.

hope everything's there as the facelift MKII cars are near impossible to find parts for, let alone an RS-X.

look forward to some pics

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roman

Are there many in Japan still?

I've found that for my Dad's Soarer, there seem to be hardly any here in NZ... yet you see quite a few in pics from Japan, and parts seem reasonably available if you look on Yahoo Japan etc.

It seems they are around, just didnt make it to NZ.

Maybe a bit the same with the S12s? Or did they just not sell many of them?

Guest vegie

i've heard figures that there was only 2500 or so FJ20e and FJ20ET cars built.

they were expensive in thier day, and kind of the poor cousin to the DR30 skyline.

even in japan, S12's are getting scarce. i have found one owners group of maybe 20-30 odd cars.

the jap ones are usually way higher spec'ed than any of the kiwi/ozzie poverty pack ones too.

all australia's models were live rear axle and SOHC with CA series engines. eww.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

cheers mate,

yeah, was a bit of a struggle getting the wheels on there...

back end was easy, just used Z31 300zx stub axles in the original rear arms. changed the rear drive cups from the 3x2 cv type

to the 4x1 bolt r31 turbo type, as these axles/cv's are much stronger and fit straight into the r200.

the rear rotors are also z31 turbo. it turns out they are the same diameter as my originals, just 5 stud.

it looks like the rs-x model got a lot of the good bits off the bigger cars.

fronts proved a little more work. i already had coilovers, but the original 300 lb springs were a tad too soft and short in length, which resulted in the coils binding before the strut ran out of travel. not good! sourced some 350lb springs in a longer flavour, which worked a treat to start with. it meant the platfroms were wound right down to get the right height which resulted in the springs chewing out the threads of the adjustable seats.

started over again using R31 turbo skyline struts from an import, which mean they have slip on hat type rotors(easy to source) and 4pot

gts-t calipers bolt straight on (which will also fit under the wheels). they have a short tube to start with so even lowered have plenty of travel.

i had to remove the stock spring perch as its right where my tyre would sit. all of the coilover hardware i used came off an s14 set of tein coilovers which had rooted inserts. machind off the threaded tubes and welded them onto mine.

i had to use a shorted gas insert shocks, koni's from what exactly i cant remember, as jap R31 inserts arent available here :rolleyes:

it worked out sweet as the teins run short springs with keeper springs, so "heaps" of tyre clearance(ish).

i tried all sorts of front hubs but settled on one of these 2.

dsc00187t.jpg

the factory 5 stud z31 hub works, but would need machining to get a slip on rotor on them, and the push the wheel 12mm further out than the r31 turbo one i used. so i got the engineers at work to redrill them for 5 stud.

fitted on using late 300zx discs (i think!) and used laurel front calipers.

after sorting all that, i wasnt happy with the wheel studs. z31's have the fucking shortest wheel studs ever! like 2 turns of the nut on the watanabes was all you'd get.

took a while to source the correct one to replace with and $250 bucks later, i had to cut them shorter as they were all too long. gah...

finally all together and in it worked, but had to run a small spacer in the fronts as clearance is so tight that the clip on tyre weights had to come off as they hit the strut when they spin past.

easy really. :lol:

would NOT trade again

Hey did you have to use a spacer on rear calipers to fit them? Im doing a Z31 5 stud swap on an Hr31 coupe. Im haveing problems centering the r32 2 pot caliper on to the disc its looking like i nead to make up some spaceing washers. Did you have the same problem? any help would be awsome. Thanks

• Like 1

hey man,

i think my setup is a fair bit different to yours.

my rear swing arms are exactly the same as a z31, so spindles swap over no dramas at all.

i didn't use rear 2 pot calipers either. mine have an integrated handbrake, whereas yours will have a rear drum setup for the handbrake.

there is a way to modify 2 pots to fit mine, but it widens the rear about 15 mm a side. i don't have the guard clearance for that.

what discs and calipers are you using? i'm guessing r32 rear 2 pots and r31 turbo rear vented discs?

i see an old post of your's regarding the spindle splines being different too? i find that odd. they "should" be the same if they are original r31 turbo ones.

its been a while since ive seen a set of r31 rear spindles, so i cant recall what they look like exactly, but is there any option of redrilling them to 5 X 114.3? may help your spacing problem.

True i had always thought the s12 rear was pritty much the same as an hr31 i should of had a better look at my mates notch back s12 when he had it.

The z31 5 stud hub is same size as the 4 stud r31 hub but the splines on the z31 hub are lot bigger, it seams all IRS r31's have small splines turbo or not but i got the z31 chapion flanges with the hubs that are same 4x1 bolt pattern as r31so wasnt a problem.

Im runing r32 gtst disc's to match the caliper as the r32 disc is same size as my old turbo r31 disc just 5 stud.

I know lot of people have done this conversion but nobodys said on any forum's how thick the caliper spacers nead to be. I Have just been useing washers to pack out caliper but havent found any that get it centered yet.

Thanks for your input.

ah ok, i always assumed the 4 X 1 r31 and z31 were the same. apparently not!

i'd be interested to know how many splines the r31 4 X1 drive cups are, sound like they are the same as dr30/r30 skyline.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Turbo is all in now, and started it up to bleed the air out of coolant last night.

All seems to berunning ok, but not sure what boost the new actuator will run at yet.

Small hiccup, the turbo intake piping no longer fits. need to find some 3" pipe to make a new one...