hmmmnz's beautiful '63 Vauxhall Velox

yoeddynz

it runs exactly the same engine as the cresta,

they both came as 2.65l or 3.3l engines

in 63 and 64 both had 3 on the tree, half way through 64 they bought out the 4 speed box,

the pos - neg earth is popular to all old cars,

try finding a pos earth stereo these days,

thats generally the reason for the conversion,

all you had to do was spin the battery, short out the generator and coil, and that got you moving again,

as for the rest, i guess the fans etc all became a "i'll do it later" job... which inevitably never got done.

i'll grab some more photos to morrow, extractors to be fitted on wednesday,

after that, i'll rip out the dash ect for the wiring fix up, and prep for the new guages, stereo etc

and strip the old laquar of the walnut dash, and take some patterns in case i decide to make a replacement native dash

and strip the old laquar of the walnut dash, and take some patterns in case i decide to make a replacement native dash

Oh no! Don't replace it with anything else. Walnut is pretty much the only interior woodgrain finish that doesn't look absolutely atrocious/like someones grandad got a bit excited with his woodworking skills.

Had positive earth in my Pop. Had to put a wee sticker on it highlighting that it was positive earth after 2x replacement coils due to muppets misunderstanding. Easier just to convert it to standard in the end.

re new head deck,

as with any radio etc, the get a signal radio tape etc, then its fed into the amplifier, which boosts the palty, 0.1w up to 3 or 4 watts (or more depending on age)

all you have to do is interrupt the signal between the original source and the inbuilt amp,

i normally put a switch in to turn off the radio/tape signal, and always have the aux connected,

if you want to play the radio, flick the switch and it will play, so will the aux if its connected though

What colour is it when speedo hits 110mph?... :P

I love that speedo. Mine has a strip speedo too but with just a boring needle :(

my guess would be flames, and oil,

they say it was capable of doing over 100 mile an hour, but im scared at 70

Awesome... brings back memories..

We did one of these up in the 80s..

- Bored out to 3.3 litre ( used pistons form Vauxhall PC)

- reground cam

- Mk 3 Zepher 4 speed box with bedford clutch

- tripple SU carbs

- Mk 3 zepher diff ( after breaking 3 vauxhall ones)

- Mk 3 zepher disk brakes up front ( origional car had drums)

- We balanced the engine parts on the Air NZ jet balancer

Was a sweet car and went like stink.. for the time anyway -- easy 100 mph

Dont know what happend to it.. probably well dead by now.

Look out for rust by the front hanger of the rear leaf springs.

right, i have bought the victor (1970) with the 3.3l and the 4 speed with over drive, which i'll pick up this weekend.

really just want the motor for the velox, but might be able to recover some funds by selling the rolling chassis

(any one want an old british muscle car roller??)

fun times ahead, havn't done an engine change in 10 years, and that was an old subaru, which was exceedingly easy,

any pointers greatly accepted

As you have done an engine change on a Subaru before I would say this will be a piece of cake comparitively

Just take your time and mark the wiring (will only be 4 or 5 wires I'm expecting)

Good thing is you can practice on the donor vehicle and if you fuck things up its not catastrophic..

Couple of generic starting tips

Remove bonnet for max light and ease of working

Drain radiator, engine AND gearbox fluids completely

Remove radiator so the engine fan can't damage it

Be careful when removing the driveshaft that the UJ cups don't fall off and spill the roller pins everywhere

well picked up the donor car, a 3.3l victor with a 4 speed and over drive,

managed to get pulled over with in 30second of my test drive of the car, $300 fine thank you,

put the car on the trailer and got back to new plymouth safely

the body on the victor is surprisingly good,

some surface rust which has been rust treated (which makes the car look like shit)

according to all the paper work that i got with the car (from the 3 previous owners) it looks like the car has done an original 53000 miles, and was parked up in the late 70's so the rust is from just sittng,

i think the victor will make a good v8 donor car,

i'll do the velox first!!!!

pics in a bit :D

ok some pics

cream and green ... always a good combo :D

SAM_0535Medium.jpg

SAM_0537Medium.jpg

SAM_0538Medium.jpg

SAM_0543Medium.jpg

looks like it was a nz assembled version.

SAM_0542Medium.jpg

although every thing is all imperial. i thought we were metric by then.

here is the general state of the rust

SAM_0536Medium.jpg

as you can see, its just surface rust, but with a rust killer on it, which makes it look far worse,

the only place where there is a rust hole, is on the back winscreen sill,

pretty easy fix really, every where else is rust fee i use that term loosely) but in over all reasonable condition,

a lick of paint and it'd be a new car

well the victors 4 speed + od is out of the car,

engine next,

bit of a mission, the bell housing is bolted to the engine, and the bolts are inside[/b it so had to pull the gear box from the housing,

which has bolts inside the hosing, and 2 on the to of the box, which are neigh on impossible to get too,

fun times :D

ok engine is out of the victor,

and gear box is out of the velox,

every thing is disconnected, so ill pull the engine out of the velox tomorrow,

then it'll be a sump swap, mount swap, then the victor engine wil be ready to go back in the velox,

when thats in, it'll be gear box, drive shaft, clutch linkages,

exhaust, intake manifold,

the carb will have to be rebuilt, all the electrics changed to make way for the alternator, (ditching the generator and separate regulator)

then all the wiring for the new guages etc,

but im getting ahead of myself :D

engine and box first :D

pics tomorrow

ok a wee pictureless up date,

3.3 and od box is now in the velox,

what a fucken mission!!

engine went in easy enough,

gear box not so much, it tryed to kill me by falling off the jack :D

and then the box itself is alot bigger so had to make spacers for the cross member, longer bolts etc,

drive shaft in,

exhaust and intake in, although am having to use the 33mm carb instead of the 36 as the 36's accellerator pump is jamming and causing the butterfly to stay open, i'll have to search for a new one, no real loss as the 36 is in a pretty fuct condition any way,

the dc-ac conversion done,

my 1 stumbling block is the clutch,

on the velox its a push on the thrust bearing, on the victor its a pull,

so will have to make a pivot to convert, pain in the arse,

i could have got away with this if i had pulled the velox bell housing off and put it on the 3.3 motor,

but to do that, i would have had to remove the fly wheel ect,

and didnt really think about that when i was swapping them out,

too late now,

basically as soon as i sort that, and fill with fluids she's ready to go..

i hope :D

fucken english cars!!

managed to get pulled over with in 30second of my test drive of the car, $300 fine thank you,

would write letter to them disputing this, sounds like bollocks tell em to get fucked, they won't be bothered dealing with more paperwork