Charging issue

ryanfels

So the grande has started to play up

Ive noticed the last few times ive driven it that my all my dash lights are flashing up from time to time and then last night i noticed it did it whenever i touched the brakes (brake lights went on) and indicated. it would also do it randomly while driving aswell.

My factory voltage guage would also drop and you could hear the fuel pump slow down. It would also do this after the car has warmed up and the idol has dropped when you come to a stop.

Im guessing its got something to do with the alternator or battery but the fact that EVERY dash light lights up when this happens, not just the charge light, is why im here asking you guys what you think.

No i havent put a volt meter across the battery yet

I'm not so sure that it's the alternator. Sounds like a faulty connection to me. Possibly one of your battery termials is working loose or you have a ground strap that has come unbolted. I cold totally be wrong but I can't see why all the dash lights would come on due to low battery voltage.

What voltage are you seeing at maximum and at minimum?

Earth terminal on battery shouldnt cause dash lights to flicker. If the alternator is charging correctly you should be able to disconnect the battery while car is running with no effect to the way it runs, anyway.. Sounds like worn brushes. If it is, get them replaced asap as you could spike the regulator and it will cost ya even more. Wip the alternator off and drop it into me dude.

Earth terminal on battery shouldnt cause dash lights to flicker. If the alternator is charging correctly you should be able to disconnect the battery while car is running with no effect to the way it runs, anyway.. Sounds like worn brushes. If it is, get them replaced asap as you could spike the regulator and it will cost ya even more. Wip the alternator off and drop it into me dude.

How do worn bushes cause dash lights to flicker?

I'm assuming that Ryan means the dash warning lights not the illumination lights..

But all the warning lights have a tendency to flicker when the alternator is packing up (specifically the brushes).. I'm not an auto sparky so I have no idea why its just something I know from 13 years of mechanic-ing.

edit - normally when only the main charging warning light comes on its the regulator packed up or the belt has come off..

He said brushes. If the brushes are worn, the alternator cannot transmit energy from the rotating assembly to the alternator body. Even if the bushes are worn, it could cause excess slop in the shaft in such a way that the brushes may no longer make contact.

It can and it did exactly that on my GX61 Mark II Grande (ie same car as Ryan has sans the 2JZ-GTE) when the earth terminal on the battery worked its way loose and was giving a poor connection.

He said brushes. If the brushes are worn, the alternator cannot transmit energy from the rotating assembly to the alternator body. Even if the bushes are worn, it could cause excess slop in the shaft in such a way that the brushes may no longer make contact.

Yeah my bad. I meant brushes.

I understand how an alternator works. I just can't see how a failing set of brushes could lead to the washer bottle low level warning light coming on. That to me looks like the earth lifting at some point and therefore getting different earth potentials across different points of the car. It sounds like R100 is an auto sparky so I'm hoping he may be able to enlighten me :)