Dieseling on a fuel injected engine

Lump

After much fluffing about I've finally replaced my V8 with a fuel injected Jaguar six cylinder engine (from an XJS) and got it sort of going

I set the timing correctly (according to the manual) and finally got the engine to run today without backfiring out the intake manifold.

It ran fine briefly, on starter fluid. When I reconnected the fuel pump and restarted the engine - it wouldn't shut down when I switched the key off, it did stop shortly after I tripped the fuel pump inertia switch to stop the fuel flow.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happened? Is it possible the ignition on relay for the ECU got stuck in the on position?

Cheers Guys,

you're all right, I'd conected the ignition on relay for the ECU to the wrong point on the fuse box, so rather than getting a 'key on 12v' source it was getting an 'engine running 12v' source - so the ECU ignition on relay kept the car running on the power produced by the battery/alternator.

I've got it hooked up right now and she starts and stops on the key. A bit more work and she'll be able to move under her own power