alt issue

shizzl

ok so my battery light came on the other night and the car died a while later...its a ss v8..vs model.

put a multi meter on it today,battery is fine.

its charging but only at 12. something volts,and it slowly climbs to that,its not bang straight away..

what would be the deal with this thing? im not too clued up on alts..

the voltage is fairly steady even when i turn all lights,heater fan,a/c etc on..

With the alternator charging you should see 13.5-14.5v across the battery terminals. There are a few different things that can go wrong with them, and its usually quite hard to tell whats the problem without the correct tools. Best bet is take it to an auto sparky, if its a minor it'll be around $40 if its a major a couple of hundy will fix it.

Could be brushes worn, could be the contact on the regulator/brush box (black thing on alternator with plug on it) Try removing the brush box and cleaning the contact, while your at it check the lengh of the brushes. Could be volt drop from the alternator main battery feed to the battery. You need a multimeter and to know what your doing or take it to an auto sparky.

Yeah check brushes for sure - easy to do and cheap.

Also make sure your ignition light comes on when you turn the key to 1 position before start (on?) - They say it 'excites' the alternator into action. If that doesn't come on then then it is something else like a plug coming loose or possibly just the bulb (i think it needs to work to excite the alt circuit). Some sparky will know more.