Measuring for new Drive Shaft

Sambo

Just a quick question:

Do I need to allow for movement in the shaft between yoke and input of the gbox? (my own technical terms there). Do I need to allow a few mm's of movement rather than having the yoke hard into the back?

I read a wee while back that due to lowering CDLs wagon the dshaft mashed the back of the box. I don't want that to happen to my w55. It's going to be easy to measure accurately as rear section of shaft fits good and front section is short, so can push right forward and measure between flanges.

Yes you do when the diff moves up and down the yoak moves in and out.

Slide yoak in and out to see how far it can go in and how far it can come out (before coming of the spline.) It is a bit fidly and stressfull making sure you got it right. dont forget to allow for the minuimum amount of contact you wand the yoke and spline to have on the outer dimmension you dont want to stripo the spline from minimal contact.

If you unsure might be worth getting you driveshaft maker to measure.

Dont forget to measere with the cars diff suporting the cars weight and at its final ride height, diff bolted in properly etc.

Firstly - Is it IRS or a live rear axle?

Secondly - is it a 2 piece or 1 piece driveshaft?

If it is a live rear axle with a 1 piece driveshaft - then with the suspension sitting at "ride height" then allow 10-20mm each way of slip in and out

If it is a 2 piece - then you only need a abput 5-10mm of slip in and out

If it is an IRS then you need 0mm

Whrnever i done this (only do it if ur lengthening not shortning) is cut it in half, slide some scrap down

the middle to make it telescopic, put it back in hard up on output slip joint take out springs, tack weld ( or just mark? ) shaft, take to driveshaft shop and tell them what you did, as i found it too hard to measure and i diddnt want to fuck it up and waste my 800 bucks ( 2 peice shafts get spendy whrn both bits need modifying)

edit reading lawnslows post i forgot once

springs are out jack car to where diff is closest to gearbox