OverFueling? Fuel not atomising?

BAR118

Last week my mini decided it only wanted to run on 2 cylinders, so i spent hours messing round with my ignition and timing before noticing that my reasonably new fuel filter was basicly solid black and the fuel that was going through it was a dark brown. I took apart the float chamber and there was literally half an inch of sludge in the chamber. (Keep in mind that I have only had the car running for 1000kms or so since full over haul).

So I took out the fuel tank, fuel lines, carb and manifold out and started drowning things in meths. Replaced filter, and fuel lines and gave the carb and tank a thorough clean.

Put it all back together last night and now I have copious amounts of fuel in my carb/manifold. Anyone got any idea why I'm getting all this fuel building up?

Is it possible you have adjusted your float level incorrectly (I can't remember if an SU even has a float bowl)?

If so then I would look at float level or the float valve. The manifold is below the carb so if the carb is too full then neat fuel could drain into the manifold

will probably be shit under the float valve seat, so will not seal when the float is right up.. I have had this on a few occasions..

just whip out the pin for the float and have a bit of a clean-up in there..

(part 19)

hs2-hs4-hs6-dismantiling-img-5.jpg

Just took apart float valve, was nothing in there but gave it a wash and a blowout with the compressor. I also went and leaned the mix right off and went to go crank the engine but dead battery, so waiting for batt to charge.

Ok so Battery is charged, still no starting and I still have fuel all through the carb. I'm tossing up weather to change the needle over, but it was running perfectly before with the needle that

I put in there. What do you guys reckon?

Dryed the carb, leaned it off and cranked it. There was less fuel sitting in the carb but it still doesn't want to fire properly (at all). Yanked out the spark plugs, theyre soaked in fuel, so cleaned them and I've got heapsa spark. Went to start cranking again and my battery's dead again so once again waiting for charger... FML

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like it could even be electrical especially if the spark plugs are getting wet with fuel, what are the points like? have you tried new leads? The spark plugs may not be to good either if you had dirty fuel go through. Let us know how you get on

Sounds like it could even be electrical especially if the spark plugs are getting wet with fuel, what are the points like? have you tried new leads? The spark plugs may not be to good either if you had dirty fuel go through. Let us know how you get on

I've checked my spark and points etc and everything electrical is wotking sweet. I'm not currently at home atm.

I had similar issues with my anglia.

Bottom line was she was not generating enuff oomph in her spark (I had a ballasted ignition - didnt know it and was running a 2nd ballast resistor with the coil I had.) I removed 1 ballast resistor changed the plugs,and all was rosey. (Very few anglias have a ballasted ignition so I was caught out there.

Is your coil OK? How are your points?

I put in a new condensor as it was only $9 at repco, at least if you have her running before the electronic ignition goes in you will happy.