Rear leaf springs.. re tempering or blocks?

felixx

OK just fishing for info here.

In the future, i would like to lower my anglia about 45 -50mm

It has leaves in the back. These are 1967 vintage.

My first question is can you retemper leaf springs for a lower ride height?

If so how much does it cost to get done properly?

Or should I just use blocks?

Please give me the pros and cons for both.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am as mechanical as a goldfish.

You can get the leaves reset (at any height you want, till they are flat basically). I did mine in mk2 cortina, worked a charm. Bellamy and East in chch do them. it was 120 for the pair. You just tell them, I want these set XXmm lower.

i then ran 2" blocks as well haha

If you are going to be changing wheels at some stage and are worried about clearance etc, Id run blocks for now until you get the wheels on, and then reset the leaves to suit. Would hate for you to reset your leaves, then get new wheels and its too low or whatever.

But yeh, Id go for reset leaves at the end of the day. then add blocks for max low

in terms of performance, blocks increase axle tramp (basically twisting of the axle/springs when you give it a jam on the gas pedal) which is bad. although in your anglia (no offence) its probably not a huge concern haha.

Lowering blocks are probably an easier way to go. If you get your leaves reset, get the eyes reversed. (Assuming anglebox leaves are configured the same as a datto 1200) when leaves are flattened out, they lose their eliptical shape. I found when running dead flat leaves that the springs didn't work very well at all. (Had significant traction issues)

Belemy and east in flasgrave street can reset your leaves, they also sell new U bolts and I assume lowering blocks. (I made me own blocks)

having the eye flipped alone will give you that 30-50mm you want without flattening out any leaves

or introducing blocks etc,

i'm with runamuck on this one flat leaves ain't fun its very similar to snow tires on tarseal