Ford automatic transmission "given up" what are my options?

burrowssj

Hi everyone good day to you all, I have a couple questions today regarding auto transmissions (which I know nothing about)

My reverse gear seems to have given up all but completely. I put it in reverse an sometimes it will have enough guts to move up my slightly uphill driveway but tonight it just gave up, with it in gear I couldn't even push the POS!!! :evil: out the driveway(sorry I was planning on going out tonight an now im really frustrated/demoralized).

The Drive works very well an always goes in with abit of a clunk, but changes smoothly and have never had any issues with it at all.

What sort of repair is this to fix the reverse gear?

Does anyone mechanically minded know approximately how much this could cost me(say best case an worst case scenario)

Is it going to be in a 1000's? I imagine finding a good condition auto for it would be hard

The other possibility is to convert it to a manual, I would rather keep it original and auto and I definitely don't want a floor change (I didn't buy this car for speed) So it would have to be a column change manual. Which means new box/mounts levers rods steering surround an probably more?

What do you guys think? I really have a limited knowledge of gearboxs esp automatic ones

Oh an its a 1600super crossflow cortina automatic, mk2 benchseat column change

Thanks for the reply, is that 500$ for the lot if you did it yourself? or are you saying get the reverse gear rebuilt for 500?

I recently have done the oil in the box as well, the old stuff looked very suspect an was thick an BLACK like diesel oil perhaps even dirtier. either it hadn't been changed in 10years or someone put engine oil in it.

I will look into antislip treatment

ALSO* is it possible using the wrong automatic transmission oil could make it slip?

possibly it has given up the ghost,

if it was black that could have been your bands all stripped out (they need tightening occasionally),

ring up a trans place and ask for a quote to rebuild explain you've lost reverse,

then ring another half dozen places and put your quotes up here,

pulling the box and identifying it is reasonably easy.

you'd probably not want to attempt a auto trans rebuild unless you've done one before ot are adept with mechanical problems and following things step by step

Are you sure you used the right fluid? Could just be wrong grade of fluid or incorrect level, as the fluid demand in reverse is much higher.

Reverse band is adjustable, will look at the books at work later on this avo and let you know the specs / procedure.

nope not sure, it was for pre 90s cars so assumed it would be fine. I just noticed the fluid was running on the low side an have topped it up but haven't driven it to check weither it will reverse or not. my guess is it wont haha.

oil use was castrol transmax M says on the bottle any holden pre 1990 and most European cars, shoulda been ok?

nope not sure, it was for pre 90s cars so assumed it would be fine. I just noticed the fluid was running on the low side an have topped it up but haven't driven it to check weither it will reverse or not. my guess is it wont haha.

oil use was castrol transmax M says on the bottle any holden pre 1990 and most European cars, shoulda been ok?

fluid is fairly specific i'd get in touch with a trans place for the right weight oil

Is it a borg warner 35? if so it should use type F trans fluid. Anything else, like dextron etc doesnt work at the same temp and will burn your bands out. I've got a BW 35 in my cortina, I had it checked over a few years back with new bands filter clutch etc. Cost just shy of $500 as an indication.

talked to a guy at aceomatic trans, he reckoned the fluid sounded like it should be ok(over phone so cant say for sure he said) he also said could need a new servo or possibly has worn bands, reckons a couple hundred dollars(which is abit of a relief) to get it sorted

You guys think that sounds reasonable? and does anyone have any beef with aceomatic stanmore road? Unless someone who knows alot about them on here wants to do it for beers an cash?

yea i know trust me ive had a horror story mechanic fuck my wrx sti before.not an enjoyable thing.I'm alot smarter now.

he said he would have to have a look at it before he could give me a price but if it was just the servo or bands he reckons a couple hundred, I asked for worst case scenario an he laughed and said well you could spend upto a couple grand rebuilding it

can't see whats wrong until they take off the pan so will book in with them soon unless anyone says bad things about them ?

wondering if its just worth going manual conversion but it ruins my awesome bench seat