Can a dummy tune a carb?

bonkas

Just a question.

Is tuning the standard carb on my Lancer EX something I can do myself?

Is there any steps to follow to tell if it's running too rich/lean signs to tune it one way or the other? I know a seasoned mechanic or someone in the know can get tuning in the ballpark... so I guess my question is how do they do it? what to look out for?

Or do i really need to take it to a shop and measure air/fuel ratio?

I'm of the belief that anyone can do absolutely anything if they apply themselves,

first we need the info,

is it a carb that is for your car or on your car from new?

determining that the carb is correct for the engine can be a good first step.

Luckily down at the library there are plenty of haynes manuals you can photocopy relevant information from and a general guide to tuning.

A lot of backyard mechanics (myself included) have tuned carbs by ear or by running the car and adjusting it on the run,

their are consequences to this though you can damage the engine (i destroyed a 100cc two stroke recently due to trying to correct a balk in the throttle by leaning it out to realise the jets were wrong for premix)

What i would recommend is you steer clear of mechanics but head to a carb shop or reputable tuner and have them do your job whilst you are there, write down what they do and how they do it

for future reference.

With tuning my Weber, i just kept changing jets until it ran smoothly, then checked the plugs and went down a size on the mains as it was running rich. Webers are pretty simple tho, only one mixture screw and everything else is done via jetting.

Easiest place to start would be to pull the plugs and check their color.

Thanks for the info guys.

I have replaced the plugs a few weeks ago as car was running like crap.. Plugs looked to be like the engine was running lean, pulled new plugs out recently.. they still pretty clean (havent done much driving since)

I will pull the plugs when I arrive in palmy tonight/tomorrow and see what they look like.

So there isnt really a general step by step guide to follow? like too much smoke do this, too lean do this etc etc? I just have to have on hand experience.

Yes it is the standard carb on the car... A little different to my older ex.. this one has alot of emissions rubbish.

A good factory manual will have all the info to tune and set up your carb to ideal/factory steps. A good one is real comprehensive and will make you a carb expert in no time :D

Best way to tune a carb though is with a wideband, learn under what conditions/load etc your car is lean or rich and adjust the correct circuit on the carb to suit

If it's the original carb, the jets will be right so the only things you can probably tune are float level and idle speed & mixture.

It probably could do with a rebuild by now though. The jets could be partly blocked, accel pump might be rooted by now etc