Cooked transmission

coldturkey

atleast by getting a quote you know what your in for...

and it can always help getting a second opinion from someone who knows what theyr looking at..

you cant guarantee that its not gonna happen to a used trans that you put it in..

cheers for that, handy website.

I have found a transmission which may work, i'll have to change the bellhousing and mount, but its off a petrol engine (VQ30DE believe it or not).

The box itself should be strong enough, but am I likely to run into issues with ratios and gearshifts happening at the wrong RPM etc, being on a diesel engine? I really have no idea about this sort of thing. With manual boxes I know the ratios normally wont suit diesels

TBH I would not even consider getting it repaired, unless you really can't find a new one, or have some form of sentimental attachment to your current one.

Anything involving the voodoo that happens inside an auto costs megadollars. Especially at Marshalls.

Converting my cressida to manual would have cost considerably less than getting the original auto repaired when it shat itself.

However I ended up sticking another auto in it, which also shat itself a few years later..

Moral of the story; Autos suck. Get a manual.

lol, sentimental attachment to a gearbox?

GMcGlinn_love_heart.png1992-used-transmission.jpgGMcGlinn_love_heart.png

You speak much truth. And I agree completely, however being in a van configuration, it is not so simple, and manual gearboxes with gear linkage shifters are even more rare, atleast any auto box can be used, due to the linear movement of an automatic shift. Really I just want to get it on the road again.

All I really need to know now, is whether a transmission off a petrol engine will work with a diesel engine, I mean, most likely the ratios wont be ideal, but would it change gears at appropriate revs? This kind of thing I really have no idea about!

Can't say on the ratios, however the shift points will most likely be a lot higher to suit the petrol engine rev range.

Depending on the g/box, you can slacken off the kickdown cable so it changes earlier, or there may be some other way of adjusting it that I don't know about.