vibration, driveshaft UJ's?

Beaver

Hey all,

just recently the avenger has started a pretty decent vibration at between about 65k and 85k. If I take my foot off the gas it pretty much goes away, so I think that cancels out anything to do with the wheels/tyres. Im sure definitely from the rear end (read: not the front end) as it doesnt come through the steering wheel, and you can kinda hear/feel where its coming from. I lowered the car a few weeks ago so am thinking itl be the drive shafts universals. after 30+ years and then a change on operating angle they are probably pretty buggered.

anyone agree or have any other thoughts? would I be able to tell if the uj's were buggered by simply inspecting them with the d/shaft off the car

My car has the same symptoms. So thats what it is. Thanks. Mine also has a light knock under very light braking, tempo slowing down as car does. Could this be slop in the uj? I thought that the d shaft was out of balance because I used two different parts (two piece). And yes they are in phase.

^ You can price UJ's? I need a pair for a 74 Triumph 2500 PI driveshaft, auto trans if that makes any difference.

My car has a similar issue, except I have to deal with 6 UJ's in my driveline. So here's hoping it's at least one of them causing it, it's only started to happen post-lowering too.

When I lowered my cortina the d/shft was hitting on one of the chassis rails running across the car just behind the gearbox.....a few washers and longer bolts on the cross member fixed that. Would hate to think what angle that was running on haha

think its only about 3 deg difference you want in driveline angle, mine was 7deg with caused a small vibration so i raised my gearbox so it was 3deg difference and this fixed the problem. pain in the ass.

this would explain the massive vibe i get in the stockcar at full noise..

the diff is centred, engine is offset by about 60mm..driveshaft to box/diff looks like a Z...lol