second hand alternator not quite right....

yoeddynz

Just received a second hand alternator I bought on trade me for my viva. The listing said...

"12a Alternator twin belt pulley

took off my car 12months ago

Working well when removed

Removed because I sold car for parts

was going to re use but dont see that happening for a while!!

Open to reasonable offers

Payment to be made within 3 days of auction ending. Happy bidding "

alternator.jpg

I paid $100 delivered - which is a good price. As soon as it arrived I took it down to auto electric city to get a plug. While I was there the fella put it in the testing jig and found a problem.

Its charging- it puts out 15volts. But the 'dash' light doesn't come on. And it will charge without the feed being plugged in. Now he said that alts can start to charge with out the first initial feed to excite the field if spun fast enough. But no dash light? He reckons it will be a failed regulator.

A new regulator is $150 for a proper mitsi one (cheap ones not recommended)

Or I fish through the pile of alts there and find another mitsi one that has the same reg and swap over.

Anyone else had this problem with alts? And where do I stand with buying such an item on trade me? I have emailed the fella earlier and told him pretty much the above - waiting a response.

If you bought that alt off me and told me that story i would refund your money. But from what ive found out about most people is they fucking suck. So chances of getting your money back are slim.

Sounds to me like your reg is broken like the electrician said.

Sometimes an alt like that will charge at 15 volts if the ignition feed (exciter wire) isnt connected. But if you have no warning lite then im 99% sure youl need a new reg.

If you can get a new reg supplied and fitted by the auto sparky for $150 then thats an ok price.

I can get you a brand new alt like that one for approx $270 +gst as an example.

I had this problem, was going to be $170 to fix, the car still runs sweet and charges above it's rating when required(tested). A comment the guy made when trying to convince me not to buy the new reg was that alt lights fail half the time anyway so not worth the money. BUT I did get the alt from PAP(brand new but in a buggered car) for $20 so pretty hard to justify spending the extra on it

As you bought it from tradme though its probably worth arguing

Well he's got back to me and is happy to either take it back or pay for a part - whatevers cheapest :) so that's good on him!

I'm gonna rummage through the second hand alts at auto electric place and see if I can find a working regulator to fit. I just wanna get my car going!

Do any of you guys know what Rx7 this one is off? series 4/5/6? Because there are two different ways to wire the sense wire.

Putting the new reg in is real easy, those alternators are very modular. Just get a cheap new reg and chuck it in, I would never pay $150 for a reg for that style alternator. Chuck some brushes at it while you're there

My old brain tells me the regulator/brush box on those mitsi alternators are one piece. So a new reg will come with new brushes.

Your old brain was right. It does. Its now got a second hand regulator with decent enough used brushes in it. Best of all it works - cost $50 for the other alternator which I think was off a laser?. Now hopefully the seller front up and pay me back that much.