what casues "run on"

Beaver

hey all

the avenger gets the runs quite often after ive turned the key off. is only once its warmed up though. ive checked the timing and its all good (is a hair retarded, it starts to pink if I advance it), points are set correctly, and it has the correct spark plugs in.

from what ive gathered run on can be from the engine running too hot (either wrong plugs or too advanced) and it burns off carbon deposits left in the engine. i also rad somewher that a lean fuel mixture can cause run on. mine seems fine (going by lifting the piston and seeing what the engine does)

so if the cars not advanced and the plugs are correct, what else could I be looking at to fix this? or is it just a sign of a heap of shit built up in the engine/old engine

cheers

Basic answer, could be these things and some quick remedys - in order of likelihood..

- Idle is too high - turn it down to 750rpm

- Timing is too far advanced - set it at 5-10deg at idle with vacuum advance disconnected

- Excessive combustion chamber carbon - remove the vacuum advance hose and stick it into a 600ml bottle of water and give it a few revs (not heaps but enough to suck the water through the engine)

- Vacuum leak around the carb - tighten all manifold, carb bolts (wear in the throttle spindle will require carb rebuild/replacement)

- Lean mixture - richen the idle circuit by turning the mixture screw out (1/2 to 1 turn MAX!!)

Alternatively wait till you get down here (which was when??) and I'll have a tutoo on it..

Have you replaced points and condensor? Most probably not related but would make a nicer ride if they were replaced..

made an epic post but KK summarised the shit out of it while I was writing hah.

also, always run 95 octane fuel at a minimum. 91 isn't worth it. I don't even run my paj on that shit.

so keen for steamcleaning of internals of an engine to see what goes down eh.

my usual methd is to set everything up as it should be as per factory and take it on a long, fairly rigorous run.

my favourite on a scabby old car is to go from feilding to vinger hill and back fairly swiftly. You've done similar if you went up and around the coromandel, which i think i read in your project thread. it's a fair workout to get over there.

Basic answer, could be these things and some quick remedys - in order of likelihood..

- Idle is too high - turn it down to 750rpm

- Timing is too far advanced - set it at 5-10deg at idle with vacuum advance disconnected

- Excessive combustion chamber carbon - remove the vacuum advance hose and stick it into a 600ml bottle of water and give it a few revs (not heaps but enough to suck the water through the engine)

- Vacuum leak around the carb - tighten all manifold, carb bolts (wear in the throttle spindle will require carb rebuild/replacement)

- Lean mixture - richen the idle circuit by turning the mixture screw out (1/2 to 1 turn MAX!!)

Alternatively wait till you get down here (which was when??) and I'll have a tutoo on it..

Have you replaced points and condensor? Most probably not related but would make a nicer ride if they were replaced..

KK, you are god.

idle is nice and low already (dunno exactly but its low)

timing is set as per book which is 30 degrees at 3000rpm (i guesssed when i was at 3000 rpm but its close enough anyway haha)

carb seems nice and tight (have had it apart and cleaned etc)

has new points, cap and rotor, not condenser though

ill just wait till i come down KK and you can work your magic, which is this weekend

it drives real nice so im sure itl make the trip down

and to cam, yeh i set the timing and points and that while i was away (it ran like balls on the way over) and drove it back and it ran sweet, just runs on. also, i will run 95 from now on. will i need to adjust anything?

All good man - after reading these last few posts there are 4 things to add..

- Setting your timing at 30degrees at 3000rpm could be your problem. (unless you have an immaculate vacuum advance unit and the advance weights move as per factory..)

The reason this is a problem is if either the mech or vac advance are not functioning 100% properly then you will be unnecessarily advancing the shit out of the dizzy to compensate for the lack of the vac/mech adv. and this will consequently give you a high base timing - which will cause run-on.. So I would suggest you set it (at idle with vacc adv disconnected) to 5-10 degrees - this is a good generic base timing..

- As a rule you should replace the condensor EVERY time you replace the points - it has no moving parts but as a general rule they shit themselves more often than points do..

- Tighten the inlet manifold to head nuts/bolts too - not just the carby to manifold ones..

- DEFINITELY run 95 or better ALWAYS - the timing settings you got out of your book would be assuming you are running 96 octane.. (old book based on the old fuel)

EDIT - do not advance the timing as Brad suggests (sorry Brad - xoxo) you are likely already running too much timing/enough timing for 95 as it is now..

So you have 30 degrees @3000rpm with the vac adv off????

WHHHHHAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!! - means if the vac adv is working you will be getting mid to high 40's total advance on 91 octane... I'm 95% sure that this here is your problem..

FYI - full house race cars only run mid to high 30's of total advance on 100 octane....

I suspect the instructions in the book may be written a bit ambiguously..