busted oil pump?

peteretep

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I changed the oil and checked the oil pressure switch point which is .3 Bar or ~4.35 PSI. I also bought a gauge from repco and when I started the motor it showed the same results as the pressure switch had been telling me, for the first 10 seconds there is nil pressure then it builds up to ~45-50 PSI and stays there. During this period of running and checking things, the psst psst noise started so I got a video of it. I have ordered an oil pump from repco and I will try that on and see if anything changes as it appears the noise is coming from the pump.

Heres a crappy video

I bought a new oil pump and instantly noticed this difference.

I put in the new pump and the pressure rises almost instantly to ~30 PSI compared to ~50 PSI on the old pump. Now im confused as to which pump to keep as the old one is a homer built for the engine, maybe the old owner had oil pressure issues?

Really I would like to use the old pump so I can return the $250 pump and get my money back, what do you chaps think?

img0062n.jpg

img0063ek.jpg

I believe its in case the filter gets blocked it allows the filter to be bypassed and allows (unfiltered) oil to be pumped around the engine so your engine doesn't seize..

yeah I think your right, as the whole filter is pressurised then this should be the case. I still dont understand why it would be welded up

also, just bought one of those high flow/high pressure pumps from burton as they were 13 GBP cheaper