• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

new ring

IMAG0122.jpg

new bearings, seals and gaskets

IMAG0120.jpg

various springs for clutch tuning (accidentally ordered 2 sets so if anyone wants to tune their scoot let me know)

IMAG0119.jpg

and a new crank, may receive further grinding for max breathing abilities (rotary induction is pretty cool)

IMAG0121.jpg

so now I have everything I need - may tear it down tonight, will see how I feel after eating...

Because the crankshaft serves as the rotary valve, opening and closing this port, the modifications made to it, directly translate into the modifications made to the port timing in the cycle. To calculate this, in degrees, just measure the diameter, dummy. I used a paper strip wrapped around the crank web, then i double-checked using the diameter, because the paper couldn't be tight or it would shortcut the recessed area of the crank web. Simple geometry will get you into radians of port timing, then degrees if you prefer. I'm not going to share all this, because I think this might be a competitive bike in stock cylinder racing, and I want a leg up on y'all, but if you really want to copy me you can probably figure it out from the picture. I also added some 'flow improvements' to the open area, sortof like knife-edging but in multiple dimensions.

HPIM6523.JPG

currently unsure what this means to me...

engine is now removed and torn down...

IMAG0125.jpg

old barrel, minus porting of any note, plus significant scoring... seems it was a good time for replacement

IMAG0124.jpg

however as you can see new barrel will not fit... will take case to machine shop tomorrow to get it opened up a couple of mm - before case matching

IMAG0123.jpg

old vs new

I don't know if I tear in to stuff quickly... I think I tend to procrastinate. I was going to make a new years resolution to stop procrastinating but meh....

its still a new bike for my gf and she doesn't want it off the road for to long so that provides some motivation.

• 2 weeks later...

so got this all together in the weekend, no pics of the case matching as its a lot rougher than I wanted (probably should have found a mill to borrow instead of using my dremel)...

Compression seems awesome, will measure tonight to confirm. But first kick nearly broke my ankle :-) will have to use the decompression valve now.

Unfortunately its not running - can't get a spark. How do you test a CDI?

IMAG0128.jpg

black areas show how much material was removed during case matching

IMAG0130.jpg

how to test ignition side of stator - mine produced about 50v, which is plenty....

still not sure how to test cdi itself, but figure I know its getting juice so if theres no spark its to blame... will put the engine back in the frame tomorrow and see what happens...

• 3 weeks later...

IMAG0138.jpg

lack of updates lately. Had heaps of trouble getting it to start, tapper was out on crank causing the fly wheel to bind on the case, and me to burn out the starter clutch trying to start it.

So machined the flywheel down a couple of mm, and brought forward my plans to add a variated transmission and finally got it to run tonight, seems strong, should have it pulling wheel stands by the end of the weekend

• 2 weeks later...