10Speeds Newest Moped - Vespa Piaggio Ciao

10Speed

Actually it's not mine, it's the girlfriends... (but it will be my project)

7170653_9457496.jpg

1997 Vespa Piaggio Ciao

50cc, Single Speed, rigid, rev limit to about 45kph

Plans include vintage rego.

75cc Malossi racing kit

Dellorto SHA carb

Expansion chamber

Variator Conversion

Re-geared transmission to improve top speed

Racing Tires

most of the above has been ordered from the states now waiting on delivery...

( http://www.treatland.tv/vespa-piaggio-k ... ts-s/3.htm )

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

final package of goodies is here now, just in time for christmas...

IMAG0098.jpgIMAG0099.jpg

new (actually second hand, but unused) gears for the hub transmission changes it from a 12:1 to 9:1 reduction, I think. Will fit these once it is all tuned and I am happy with the torque.

started preping the cylinder last night, chamfered the ports and started to set ring end gap. Can't find a measurement online so I figure .15mm will be ok for something this small..

IMAG0105.jpg

did the first ring no problem, however when popping the second off the piston...

IMAG0109.jpg

)-: popping up to the scoot shop at lunch time fingers crossed...

well no joy at the scooter shop, actually the guys at scootling didn't seem to interested at all, probably fair enough since I hadn't brought the kit from them...

so another order from the states is on the way: http://www.treatland.tv/malossi-46-5mm- ... 356218.htm

malossi-ring-356218-2T.jpg

and in the mean time will fit the carb and pipe for hopefully a noticeable performance improvement

took some parts off

IMAG0112.jpg

put some new parts on - pretty easy had to swap the choke mechanism from old carb to new, even though this was meant to be specifically for this bike. And didn't even have to stuff around with the throttle cable (one of my least favorite jobs) just left connected to the old slide and put the whole lot into the new carb :-)

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

took for a blast around Kepa Rd and Tamaki Drive, and am truly impressed with the results. From just a carb & expansion chamber it feels completely different. Top speed has increased from 45kph to 75kph (measured with a gps). Still too slow up hill, but variating should fix that. Haven't checked the jetting yet - hopefully not running to lean. Really looking forward to the 75cc kit and machining the case... should be an awesome bike...