Pinto wont run right??

DavidTheCreator

^ useful advice, or normally I would say the block head crank and associated ancilliarys and attached parts are the problem.

but being serious rather than being a hater doing hating - do these silly things have hydraulic lifters or mechanical? if mechanical have you checked the valve clearance?

I would still think timing out + carb set wrong/blocked internally. if you set the timing where it should be and spray engine start down it will it run?

Fierce, from what you have already told us the spark is firing at the wrong time in relation to the pistons.

The above is backed up by the spark obviously firing (or having recently fired) when an intake valve is slightly open, giving you a spit back.

A simple compression test will give you a good idea as to the cam/crank phasing - but I expect there is nothing wrong with it. IMHO your spark is jumping to the wrong post inside the dizzy cap. I.e. the spark is firing when the rotor is about half way between two dizzy cap terminals - hence your timing light shows the timing to be 45 degrees out.

What firing order are you using?