what's wrong with my clutch/gear box

LingLing

Hi guys

I started to notice that my car was very unsmooth in gear changing recently. This morning,it was nearly impossible to shift, 1st and 2nd needed to be basically forced into it.

This afternoon on the way back home,It was still very bad in the 1-2mins, but it was fine again after that, still not that smooth tho.

I was think about the Transmission oil?

I know my clutch is not good, but it doesn't seem to slip.

Thanks

Andy

not clutch , you can change gear piece of piss Without the clutch .

you have either gotten really excited and been driving very spiritedly , or giving your gbox too much before it warm.

gearbox oil is like honey when you first start off so the synchroes are going to have a harder time squeezing it out before they do their job .

once its warmed up and become thinner it works all good.

pretty much no way around it could run you gbox on motor oil for quicker shifting but it will like abuse a whole lot less

Is this a corolla diesel? A 24mm bung on front of gearbox under battery, attack it from underneath. There will be another 24mm at the bottom for draining.

I'm thinkn you have air in the clutch hydraulic system and after a few pumps it gets better, until when you run out of fluid completely.

2morro pump the pedal a few times before you drive to see it its easier to get gears or just check the fluid level and for signs of leaks inside car by pedal box and around the slave cylinder on the gearbox.

I think it's the hydraulics now.

Everytime I can't change a gear, if I push the pedal multiple times it seems to be working smooth again.

well, How do I fix that? I assume I need to find out where the brake fluid is leaking and fix that part.

where is the slave cylinder?

Dam, I need a AE86!!

start at the clutch master, look for any fluid running down the firewall,both inside and out..

most likely the slave cyl has had it, youll see a drip or 2 on the rubber boot,give it a squeeze,youll probably feel fluid inside.

piston/diaphragm/seal would be shot,and bore needs honing..

usually cheaper to get a new one from BNT...

I think it's the hydraulics now.

Everytime I can't change a gear, if I push the pedal multiple times it seems to be working smooth again.

well, How do I fix that? I assume I need to find out where the brake fluid is leaking and fix that part.

where is the slave cylinder?

Dam, I need a AE86!!

thats either air in the hydraulic clutch line, or the seals in the cyclinder have failed, pretty easy to fix, it's about $30 in parts to fix, about $28 to buy another one, and about $5 to bleed if it's just the air

yeah nah don't bother kitting it. get a new one.

also ae86s have hydraulic clutches so you'd still have the same problem but be a whole lot lighter in the wallet.

lol

Haha, what cars do not have dydraulic clutch then?

Anyway, I haven't done any sort of bleeding or cylinders before so... this may take me a while.

What kind of fluids do you put in to the clucth after fixing it? probably there is a thing called clutch fluid in BNT i guess.

brake and clutch fluid....basically just called brake fluid...

primeras dont have hydraulic clutch.....theres one lol

youll need a 2nd person to help.

crack the bleed nipple open on the clutch slave,put a clear hose on it like windscreen washer hose/vaccuum hose etc, unless you have a bleeder bottle ;P

get ya mate to slowly pump the clutch 3/4 of the way to the floor,pump it a few times to get the fluid moving through it,

get them to hold the pedal down,tighten the nipple up,get them to pump it to get some pressure in it, hold it down and undo the nipple to release the fluid, tighten it up..

keep doing this untill you cant see any air bubbles running down the in the hose..

NOTE: pump slowly, cos if theres air in the master, pumping it hard will just airate the good fluid...

usually only a 2-5min job...

enjoy