ld28 masters advice please

shizzl

so many things could be causing the smoke, atleast now i have an idea of other things to check aswell as the turbo..

cheers

and that would explain why my old cortina smoked hard when i backed off the gas but never when i put my foot up it....i thought she was dead so i traded it in...dang

so ive got this van home now...

the smoke is mainly black, to me is fueling..

there is a hint of blue...no noticible noise form the turbo or anything...

but whats got me is there is a lot of rocker cover pressure,its got a hose coming off the rocker covers, if i put my hand over the end of it it will blow my hand off after about 5-10secs...

she doesnt sound to have a munted piston...

suggestions?

no smoke at idle....it did when i first fired it up but had been sitting a while...didnt smoke when i fired it up this morning...

when you put ya foot up it, it smokes heavily like a 70s granny, not hardcore black, probably more dark grey,and stops as soon as you get off the gas...

excessive crankcase pressure is symptomatic of over-taxed/butt-fucked top rings. Thats pretty commen with engines that have been +T'd. The good news is it doesn't neccesarily mean that your oil control rings are mitsubishi'd. (I've had supercharged motors which had mad blowby, but have burnt no oil)

Just plumb it back into the intake and boost hard.

hmm sounds like its just running too rich if its black/fuel. does it do it at part throttle, or just when your hard up it? if turbo is not working will do this. if turbo is working. turn the boost up and see if it stops or smokes less

ok so i dropped the down pipe off the turbo and the back end was dry as.no oil.

comp housing was wet, not drowning just wet..

bugger all shaft play,about normal id say.

shaft spins freely,no noises,blades all look sweet.

next idea??

engine slogged out to oval?? causing the blowby

so i found out ive got a nissan spec ht18 turbo sitting in my shed, its the same mount as the l20et turbo, but has a 3 bolt exhaust flange where as the l20et has a 4 bolt flange..dingo..

i figured that the l20et turbo is still ok..

i took the manifolds off the ld28 and there was oil present in pretty much all intake ports

exhaust ports were black but dry..

excessive blow by im thinking...so good bye to this engine..

hope to find another engine asap.

get it on the rd then try to get a motor for the stockcar...

anyone need a ht18 turbo for a nissan???