megasquirt

R100

Befor i made this post i did a bit of searching on the net aswell as used the search function on here.

I would like to know;

Where they come from.

Where they are made.

Do they come pre assembled

Are they kitset.

Are there any NZ suppliers

What is the back up sales and service in NZ for them

Who in Auckland can tune them

Has anyone purchased one and fitted it

If there fitted by an average DIY type of guy how well will they run

Thank you.

They come from the states, made in the states (I think)

Can come fully assembled for an additional cost, or they come as a kit which you can build yourself

There are a couple people on trademe selling fully assembled kits, I guess you would call them suppliers

I would say the above trademe sellers would only be the after sales backup and service, otherwise there's plenty of forums dedicated to troubleshooting and further developing the ECU

Just about anyone should be able to tune it, you just have to get them the software and run them through how to use it

Ask Spencer about purchasing one and fitting one, though I don't think he ended up using it.

They will run as well as you can get it tuned, you can get it 90% sweet with just a road tune doing it yourself.

Befor i made this post i did a bit of searching on the net aswell as used the search function on here.

Haha not very well, just searching the wiki site will tell you all this

Where they come from.

USA, code for the extra stuff is developed around the world

Where they are made.

Its just a PCB, possibly USA

If you want to pay for it yes. There are surface mounted pre-assembeled versions of the latest board

Are they kitset.

Yes, basically

Probably but not legit

ZERO, just the forums

Anyone whos tuned a car with half a brain

I have, few other on here maybe? I ran my old 20v DX on one road tuned it, never got a wof so didnt do many Km

's. Keen to do a MS3

Fine! depends on how radical your setup is though,

Go read the megamanual like 8 times and you'll figure if its for you, it answers everything

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html

Thats a shit load of info there on that megamanual link spence.

Dont think im up for reading that all tonight but definatly will give it a good read tommoro.

Im just contemplating if its a good idea to import them, be a NZ outlet for selling and installing them.

Or maybe thats just opening up a big can of worms for myself.

Im 100% capible of installing an aftermarket ECU but not a big fan of comebacks on such a product.

Sometimes customer expectation can be alot more than a product like this can deliver.

Lately ive thought about getting into the aftermarket ECU market. Not many if anyone do it in auckland.

Im just contemplating if its a good idea to import them, be a NZ outlet for selling and installing them.

Lately ive thought about getting into the aftermarket ECU market. Not many if anyone do it in auckland.

Theres already a few people floating around who do it.

I haven't checked the links really, but these places appear to do built ms and installs also.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 447092.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 370540.htm

Theres also a number of guys who will cut down factory looms for you.

And I also know of a couple of other guys who are semi out on their own doing wire in ecu installs etc. I think they would be doing it solely if there were a market for it, but I'm not sure if there is. People are always keen, but when it comes to the cash things get tricky..

Plus places that are licensed for Link or even Microtech generally seem to discourage the DIY stuff and I have heard that its difficult to get support or tuning advice for these conversions. There is a vast resource on the net though, and the fact that it is DIY means that you kind of enter it without the need for support.

FishtailFred loves them.

I think you will find he hates them. Hence why he has started his ECU project which will be true open source. Where as the squirt guys are abit homo, they wont even open up the code for the MS3. Opening up the code is what made the original POS MS1 use full haha

Theres already a few people floating around who do it.

I haven't checked the links really, but these places appear to do built ms and installs also.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 447092.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 370540.htm

Theres also a number of guys who will cut down factory looms for you.

And I also know of a couple of other guys who are semi out on their own doing wire in ecu installs etc. I think they would be doing it solely if there were a market for it, but I'm not sure if there is. People are always keen, but when it comes to the cash things get tricky..

Plus places that are licensed for Link or even Microtech generally seem to discourage the DIY stuff and I have heard that its difficult to get support or tuning advice for these conversions. There is a vast resource on the net though, and the fact that it is DIY means that you kind of enter it without the need for support.

Interesting. I have asked a couple of questions on those auctions in respect to warranties. I wonder if those guys work from home or a business somewhere.

Its nice knowing your car is being dropped off at a reputable shop that well established and will be there if problems arise in the future.

I believe the market is not big enough to survive soley on selling and installing such items. But there definatly is a market. Your right when you say; People are always keen, but when it comes to the cash things get tricky.

Altho finance options could always be an option.

Cut down factory looms... now thats something i dont see being offered. Always thought it would good to simplify say a 1UZ or 13BT loom with basic wiring instructions for the DIY guy.

Most of the point of megasquirt is that it's DIY so it's not aimed at shops installing stuff etc.

if you like tinkering with electronics as well as engines and are prepared to do troubleshooting etc. theyre good. a couple of my mates have done them and had pretty good results just road tuning with a wideband. but basically it's very diy and requires alot of research and sussing out as it does not just plug in and work. Most installs end up being a little different to the last as there are so many variations of crank trigger and ignition systems and that can mean you need to modify the circutry to get it to work.

I would like to know;

Where they come from.

Where they are made.

Are they kitset.

Thank you.

I've ordered mine as kitsets from diyautotune.com shipping was prompt (2 weeks) and they had good after-sales support and a facebook group, although I didn't need much help with all the great documentation and forums at msefi.com.

you can buy preassembled ones at a slightly higher cost. the CPU module is preassembled always however, owing to being largely TSOPs and other SMT components. use MS2 at least, MS3 looks awesome. if you need help with them, ask. it's not a turn-key system like MoTeC or Link but the features certainly compare. maps and correction tables are in 7 or 8 dimensions if you do it right.

I've installed a few, just for mates in Christchurch and we tuned them ourselves using Innovate LC-1 wideband controller with Bosch LSU 4.2 exhaust gas-oxygen sensors (although they actually detect the amount of nitrogen). we didn't have a dyno and tuning is a completely different matter to installation.

It all sounds like it could be a big headache really. Ok system to buy and fit yourself. But not ideal to buy and fit them for customers.

Bang on. Generally the customers will opt for a more plug and play option like a link or similar, which has a lot of manufacturer and aftermarket (tuning) support already.