Uneven brakes

ryanfels

Ok, so i got a cert but Clint said my brake test only just failed because my back brakes were locking up to easy under hard braking. He said i just need to get an ajustable proportioning valve and ajust the bias.

Does this sound right and is there any other way to stop the back brakes locking up without forking out $100 on this valve?

Ryan

Brake line clamp? :D

Easy answer is no - if you have fitted different brakes from a bevy of different models then it could have a brake imbalance.. The wrong master/piston area ratio.

However if you have transferred the complete front and brakes from one model to yours then you could fix it with a master cylinder change - but that would be more than $100...

$100 on an adjustable proportioning brake bias valve is probably the cheapest way to fix it. It's probably the heavier 2JZ-GTE up front makes it harder for the front brakes to do their job as effectively as they would have with the 1G-EU before hand, while nothing has changed with the rears therefore they lock up before the fronts even think of locking up. I'm unsure what pads you are running up front but perhaps with some super high quality pads and get them nice and warm before doing the check, the fronts may just lock up the same time as the rears. However that would just be applying a band-aid over the problem, which is that with the change of weight distribution front and rear with the 2JZ, you'll need to change the brake bias.

I have got slightly better pads in back then the front though

Yeah this bit of information could have been important to start with.

Get new pads for the front, preferably matching brand but at the very least a matching or better compound than the rear..

Why you would have good pads in the rear and less good pads in the front is a WTF moment?

I have got slightly better pads in back then the front though

Why you would have good pads in the rear and less good pads in the front is a WTF moment?

Yea sorry, i did forget to mention that.

I replaced the fronts about a year after i got the car with Bendix Race pads and then a few months later when the backs needed doing, there was no stock of the same pads so i had to go custom.

Yea man get some better pads in the front, then see if you need the proportioning valve.

The extra weight thing is difficult Phill, more weight in the front means more front end grip which should assist the front brakes, but then also less weight in the rear with weight shift means more prone to locking up. More weight on the front doesn't mean its going to be 'harder' for the front brakes