B2000 rear brakes locking up

Bombsquad

Working on a b2000, its been for a wof and failed on the rear brakes overpowering the fronts (eg the rears lock up easily and skid while the fronts dont seem to lock at all.)

I have no fucking idea whats causing this but have been told it could be the brake proportioning valve?? Can anyone tell us how to adjust this and hopefully fix the issue??

Would be my guess too.

Could have had a big load in the back, and the valve decided to put more power on the rear.

Then it's stuck and kept the back brakes with more bias than necessary.

Or the valve is just faulty. It will be somewhere at the rear and probably have a big spring and leaver on it.

if it's slammed or sagged suspension like alot of the extra cab ones are then it'll make the proportioning valve think that there's a hooj load on it. shortening the rod to put it back to somewhere near stock position would help with this.

also, if there's a much higher co-efficient of friction to the rear shoes than the front pads then this will also perhaps affect the efficiency readout. as will a small amount of fluid on the rear shoes.

I'm thinking it's gon' be a slamme dute though so read the first bit?

A variable proportioning valve not being setup for the lowered ute was immediately what I thought it was, but Alex assures me that it doesn't have a rod at all going from the diff to the valve, and that the valve is not variable, and that he's pulled it out and it seems sweet.

Biggest reason for locking up rear brakes in vehicles with a light load over the rear wheels (vans, utes) is badly adjusted brakes or contaminated linings.

Strip the drums off and check the wheel cylinders are free and not leaking then check there is no diff oil or brakefluid on the linings (replace shoes if there is or has been contamination)

If they are clean of contamination then give them a decent cleanup with some brakekleen and scuff up the linings with some rough sandpaper.

Reinstall the drums and adjust them up till they just start to lightly drag, stomp on the brake pedal a few times and pull the handbrake on a couple times to recentralise the shoes and readjust till they just start dragging again

If they still lock up it could be a bung proportioning valve or master cylinder..

Strip the drums off and check the wheel cylinders are free and not leaking then check there is no diff oil or brakefluid on the linings (replace shoes if there is or has been contamination)

If they are clean of contamination then give them a decent cleanup with some brakekleen and scuff up the linings with some rough sandpaper.

Reinstall the drums and adjust them up till they just start to lightly drag, stomp on the brake pedal a few times and pull the handbrake on a couple times to recentralise the shoes and readjust till they just start dragging again

Cheers mate I will give this a go tomorrow. The rear wheel cyclinder on the left side was replaced by me not long ago, pads are in good condition and not contaminated, but the adjustments could well be out.